Is this scabies: no itch, very few borrows, intermittent feeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a trip to rural Thailand where I volunteered along with other travellers, I came home with many symptoms. I know I had thread worms - I could feel them moving in and out. I know I had head lice - I saw dead ones after treatment. I know I had body lice - I saw several live ones, an infestation of eggs on a chair, and had my home and work offices infested. After dealing with all this, I still have issues. I suspect scabies. Something is under my skin. I have no itch but I can feel something feeding on me in various places at various times. I have twice taken Ivermectin x 2, and used permethrin on my head and body, along with vinegar, salt, epsom salts, all of which would have had some effect on  scabies. I suspect that that is why I may have had these things for 16 months without knowing - still no itch and I was focused on body lice.

My current symptoms include bites by invisible somethings on my fingers and feet. I have numerous tiny and not so tiny red marks on my skin. I feel creatures nibbling on me, and find a red mark afterwards - for example on my nipple or buttock, and even my clitoris (or was that a body louse?). In addition I developed 'holes' in my scalp. One was such that I bent a tooth of a metal nit comb when it caught in it. These holes would not go away. I used alcohol (I was travelling again) and managed to get rid of two (one on each side of head), but the one on the crown persisted. At home I managed to get this to heal, it stayed a red mark for a long time, eventually disappeared but somehow became reactivated, and grew.  I believe this could be crusted scabies... a thick white skin protected it before it healed. I feel things in my head which don't move. Recently I noticed larger red marks on my body, which often dry up and drop off, but many remain seemingly just sitting there. I used 5% permethrin cream on my whole body only to find that many more marks became visible. I have used this cream several times on my whole body and numerous times on the bigger marks on my legs etc. These marks take ages to heal, and it often becomes obvious that there is more than one 'thing' adjacent to another. Healing does not seem to be complete because the healed over skin remains brownish and there is clearly something harder underneath.

Do these symptoms occur in anyone else? What was the diagnosis?

By the way, I have seen doctors. I have sent specimens to labs, which find nothing. I have been regarded as delusional. I am not.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If the derma cannot find any other infestation mane it's a allergy your suffering from the infestations. See more info on the Patient UK. 

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply. I hope you are feeling better. Did a dermatologist scrape your skin? I went through something similar. I am still healing my skin with avocado and/or grape seed oil. I became infested after spending time in the Catalonian coast in August, 2016. It took about 3.5 months for a diagnosis. I took singulair so I didn't develop a typical rash. It made difficult the proper diagnosis. After treating with ivermectin, it would return either by reinfestation, or just because I had so many layers of these bugs. I gave it to my partner, after being told by a derm it was gone. I was placed on combo therapy permethrin cream and ivermectin as well, on immunocompromised protocols, you name it, my doctors tried it. I believe you had them. I suggest asking a doctor for a strong antihistamine. What did it for me is cyproheptadine. Also I recommend Eurax for the post scabies, b/c it will sooth the skin. I am not a physician, but it worked for me. I also had it on my scalp. My derm put me on an organophosphate, malathion, but it didn't work. What stopped the itching was diluted turpentine oil. I know it's weird, but it was an old style remedy for these mites. What is strange is that you do not itch. However, I have read posts from patients who didn't itch, but still were infested. Good luck, and I hope you have healed. I was lucky my almost 80 yr old mom didn't get it, she shared the hotel bed were I am 99% sure I got it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.