Is this scabies or not?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all. I hope you guys can shed some light on my situation, since I am unclear if I have scabies or not..

2 days ago I assisted my grandmother in putting Permerthrin cream all over her body (with gloves) because of her scabies diagnosis. I removed my clothing in an attempt to avoid the spread of a bug coming on my clothes. I was not aware at the time that these scabies mites are microscopic and could be spread to skin-to-skin contact.

So yesterday, I had no symptoms except at night, when I was going to sleep. I felt a crawling and light itching throughout my body, on my legs, toes, and groin (and slightly on neck). I had no bumps except the red, inflammed bump on my hand, that I woke up with and was not aware of scratching. Now, I notice track lines on my legs and arm, but I am not sure if this is scabies! (did the ink test, only one of them stayed but the line is not irregular). There is conflicting data on what consistutes as scabies, so I included pictures to be sure.

I have put Permerthrin cream on my whole body, and rubbing alcohol on my scalp and body as well. I am in the process of washing and drying all the clothes I used, as well as bedding. I am unsure of what to do next and by being sure of the diagnoses, I can take the necessary next steps to get this pesky problem eradicated!

Thanks for your help!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The pictures do not look like scabies to me.  I see scratch marks only.  You are probably thinking about it and scratching away, it's normal for that to happen.  I'm scratching now thinking about it.  lol  But, on a serious note, it is unlikely that you got anything from her because you did use gloves.  Scabies normally live under the skin, but can crawl on skin too, but the gloves were a barrier.  But if you had skin to skin contact with her or wore her clothes or used same towels or bedding or live with her, do keep an eye out.  You never know.   And if you want to see what scabies looks like (w/ burrow lines) search on line for images.  It may make you feel better seeing the difference.  Good luck, hope your grandmother feels better soon!
    • Posted

Thank you for the well wishes! Found this on my shoulder tonight.
  • Posted

If you are having a itch that wont go away is a key sign.  You will itch 126546516x worse after a warm/hot shower.  I found some dog shampoo that was permethrin based.  I literally wanted to rip my skin off I itched so much. 

I found that using a salt rub on wet skin, leaving it as long as you can stand + using salt mixed with the permethrin dog shampoo helped kill all the mites and babies.  I used this remedy for a week (probably over kill, 3-4 days in a row will be fine) and washed all my bedding, towels, and clothes daily.  I used rubbing alcohol in my car, on the couch at home & anywhere I sat or laid.  I also would rub anything I held, like a purse, remote, etc. daily. 

Basically if you're itching uncontrollably, esp. after a shower, it is probably scabies.

• Posted

Also, when washing items or touching things, use gloves.  I would use grocery bags wrapped around my hands so I could turn them inside out to dispose of each time I put clothes into the wash, over to the dryer, then folding.  A fresh set of bag for each step.  If you can, freezing works better.  But has to left frozen for a week to three.  2 is ideal.
  • Posted

I get the exact same scratches and do feel like something is crawling under my feet. I can tell when I get a scratch as it has a burning feeling.  I have been to my Dr. who said it was scabies and gave me Permethrin cream..which I have used numerous times...and I still get the scatches...I have been to two dermatolgist and they both said they are not scabies...just scratches.  I have another appointment with another doctor...as this has been an on going thing for over two years...I will let you know what I find out...as my scratches look just like the pictures you have on...keep me informed of whatever you find out...also what is an ink test???

• Posted

If you don't itch out of control after a warm shower, its not scabies. Could your home be haunted? Maybe you scratch in your sleep? Do you have animals? Your scratching could be caused by fleas. If it is scabies, it takes more than just the cream to get rid of them! You have to clean your environment too
  • Posted

I don't have any pets and I have a very clean house..one doctor told me they are just scratches and I am OCD...I like clean but I don't obsess over it. I am going to another doctor...as when I get the scratches I feel them ...and the last one woke me up and I felt like something was biting me...couldn't see anything but ended up with a long scratch.  It may not be scabies...but I do think something is biting me
  • Posted

I had scratches once on me too.  I'd wake up with them all over plus bite marks.  I professionaly hot steamed my carpets, problem solved.  I do believe something got in and was biting me.  I watched a dog for 2 days, had fleas and it was shaking his fur like crazy, so probably that is how it all got in.  
  • Posted

I don't have any pets...I do visit my children who have dogs..but they don't seem to have any scratches...I don't know what mine are caused from..another doctor next week...
  • Posted

Since I last posted this, I've gone through the day without itches or a crawling feeling. Last night I took a steaming hot shower hoping it would kill whatever I have, and my skin was red but went away (no itching). I did have a few crawling and light itching last night when i was going to sleep.

Would it be the early signs of scabies? I've read it takes a few weeks for the bumps, itches, and redness to show. I have seen linear burrow marks that are new and look like scars--never had those before. Should I still take the necessary steps to eradicate what is there?

Also, is Permerthrin cream toxic at all to the skin? I've put it over all areas, including face and scalp.

Thanks so much for everyones help!

• Posted

You mentioned that you used the cream, so that will make you itch after you discontinue it.  That happened to my cousin.  He used the cream twice only, one week apart.  And his doctor prescribed him an anti itch steroid cream for the itchiness.  Worked like a charm.  Still itched but everything disappeared.  Remember, do not over use the cream, it can be toxic.  I read on another discussion that someone was using it every other day and was getting sick.  
  • Posted

I just found this while taking a shower tonight. Do not recall itching it at all. 
  • Posted

Clearer picture. Again don't know how it got there. No itching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.