Is this sciatica? ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, just looking for some advice..

Since January I've been getting very bad lower back pain. The doctor initially diagnosed it as sciatica and prescribed naproxen and tramadol. Neither of which provided any relief, I also take pregabalin for TN and that also provided no relief. After several weeks it settled down but since then I have had 3 more episodes and have noticed that the severe back pain happens when I have problems with my bowels. After that settles the back pain just completely disappears and I'm left with a horrible tightness down the back of my right leg and bottom of my right buttock. It's not a shooting pain or shock pain like other nerve ailments. When I sit down its ok but when walking I cant straighten my leg and find that I can't sleep as my leg straightens when I sleep and the sharp pain wakes me up.

I've been to my doctors and the local nhs walk in centre and told them all the above and they still say it's sciatica. Nothing is working on the pain down the back.

To any sufferers on here, is this sciatica? Do you find the back pain linked to your bowels too and is there anyway to relieve this tight pulling pain down my leg and bum?

Thank you in advance x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

it does sound like how mine was years ago tbh. You really need an MRI to know for sure. I too was prefer ibex Narpoxen and Tramadol, in fact I've been on Tramadol for 18 mths now. They did help me it doesn't take it away but does ease it for me.

i think you need to return to GP and say it's gone on long enough and you want to be referred to a consultant at the hospital. It does cost them so you have to push but you can't go on as you are. Let is know how you get on 

• Posted

Zooey I forgot add yes it is affected by my bowels too as your describing.
    • Posted

Well I get constipated due to Tramadol, this increases my back pain until I can go. I've been using Dulcoease and does help. When I have managed to go the relief n lessening of back pain is quite noticeable.
    • Posted

I get constipated but not taking any medicated , i have prolapsed disc in 2010 do you think its because if that? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.