Is this sciatica?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new here and was wondering if I could have some advice. I'm a 24 year old female and about a week ago, I started to get a pain in my leg and I brushed it off. We had a weekend away and did a lot of working and it is now unbearable. Its in my left side lower back, above my bum and the pain radiates down my bum into my thigh. I can walk (it feels slightly tight) but it feels better when walking, I've tried stretches i found online but last night, in bed, I was crying in agony... I couldn't get comfortable or turn over as my hip/bum pain was horrendous. I took some of my husbands strong pain killers and was able to get to sleep. I have no idea what could have caused the pain as I have no memory of injuring ect...

does this sound like sciatica?

please help me!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be, Sciatica is a symptom. Go see a pain doctor (Anesthesiologist).

• Posted

I believe it does sound like sciatica from the experience that I get with pain with sciatica. You may need to have an MRI to ascertain this for sure via a referral from a GP, who may send you to a physiotherapist first. Do not be put off, fobbed off or give up until you get an answer as to what it is conclusively from a test (MRI).

I have had sciatica for many, many years and had to have an operation eventually and this may have been prevented, had the Physiotherapists listened to me in the first place.

• Posted

Yes, the pain pattern does sound like sciatica. The best (and according to me the only) long term solution is doing right exercises to ease the pinched nerve. But do go to a doc if the pain is too much so that you get medicines for inflammation, and then the doc should refer you to a physiotherapist. The online exercises are good too (for ex. check Ask Dr Jo or Bob & Brad on youtube), but get first set from your physiotherapist.

I also got sciatica pain also like you, without any specific injury / reason. I waited too long and was unfortunately ordered home rest for 2 weeks with only medicine and exercise. Now a days whenever I get even a tiny pain/symptoms, I do my stretches and go for a walk....that takes care of it always.

Hang in there...it does get better!

• Posted

Sure does...

Sciatica

Recommendation: OTC anti-inflammatories for 7-10 days max plus a chiropractic adjustment...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.