Is this sciatica? If so, what's causing and how can I end this misery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 26 year old man. I know that life always has the potential to get worse, but I'm going through a miserable time with stabbing pain in my left button which radiates down the lateral side of my leg. This pain goes all the way down to my left ankle and toes, and even causes pins and needles. It started about a month ago.

The pain is bad. It's keeping me from walking, running, exercising, weight lifting, etc. It even wakes me up early because of the pain.

Taking pain killers and NSAIDs helps, but for how long? Stretching only helps in the first 5 minutes.

What is causing this? Is it necessarily a slipped disk? Could this be something else like a muscle tear or piriformis syndrome? Am I doomed for life? I'd even have surgery just to fix this.

Help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Classic pain of sciatica have a MRI scan asap sometimes it will go but the MRI scan showed up that

mine would not hence the operation been in pain for nearly 4 month's and on very strong pain killers.

Will let everyone know the results when I have it.

Cannot afford private so hopefully they will slot me very soon

• Posted

It seems that if it's slipped disc, that's really no cure for it until surgery.

What if it's not slipped disk? Should I then go see a muscle therapist?

Thanks

• Posted

Wow this sounds almost identical to me, except mine also down left arm and up neck as well as down the leg. It has got steadily worse over the last year. Please keep us updated with your progress
  • Posted

A32914 do not see any one until you have the MRI scan a chiropractor made it worse
  • Posted

A32914

hi there, definitely don't go to a chiropractor made it worse for me too.

they cant really know whats happening without the MRI so I agree with the others see your doctor.

oh and yes is exactly as it was for me too the pains in same places. I also get pins and needle in my hand and arm on same side now this is a newer development.

• Posted

So Sorry dawnylou68,

Saw the surgeon and he confirmed that it is a disc pressing on the sciatic nerve with a cyst pressing

down on it as well!! no-one can understand the pain except fellow sufferers.

I am having micro surgery cannot spell it! but it my only option as now I spend most of my time in bed.

Have not had a full nights sleep for weeks1

Good luck everybody

jacqueline

• Posted

Oh Jacqueline

I thought you would come back on here and say that but was hoping that you would get away with it.

So sorry to hear that chicks you must be upset? Mind you I think I was for a short while but then had hope. You have the same as I had although my cyst cam after the op. Where is yours mine was L5/S1 .......

How Long you got to wait? It does work for lots of people a DISCETOMY ?? I was on a USA site and lots of people are so much better after, there's just a few of us awkward ones lols, got to laugh, however I am a lot better than before the op. I was in bed all time it was horrible, agony and being stuck in all time. I can walk slowly now and it always hurts but it's not as bad as before.

Keep us posted so we know how you are going

Take care Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn thank you so much very sick of the TV reading and stuck in bed but I will certainly keep you posted.

Jacqueline

• Posted

After 11 years of pain and two disc ops I have been diagnosed with Sacroiliac Joint Disfunction so I would. definitely check this out on the web as most medics in the uk don't know about this condition. I get pain relief by lying on my tummy for 2hrs before bed.
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,Just had a quick look on this site,and I do not know whether you know about my latest

news ,I do not want to repeat myself and bore you!but I was called in to have the operation on the

15th January it took about two and half hours as the cyst had stuck on my spine and my sciatic

nerve.After a couple of days on the pain killers,I am up and about with NO PAIN!! I am doing exercises

twice a day to strengthen my wasted muscles,cannot go on a tennis court or the gym as yet,but oh

the relief,I have started living again.

Hope you are out of pain,and good luck to all the fellow sufferers,remember shout loud and make a fuss.

Jacqueline

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

How amazing! Well I'm in the last 3rd of my antibiotic treatment and if it was working I would no by now.

As I previously mentioned I too have a cyst and swelling on both sides of spine. I guess that's next on the list, get the cyst out. I don't see my consultant/surgeon till 18/3 so we will see.

Gutted I've wasted this 100 days but had to try the trial I could've been one of the 40% but sadly I'm not 😩

Keep well and keep posting xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.