Is this shingles without a rash? Worried

Posted , 8 users are following.

About 5 weeks ago I injured my back, don't remember doing it but it felt like a pulled muscle. I thought nothing of it but then 2 weeks ago I got tender skin on patches of my back and around to my chest. I thought maybe it was a trapped nerve but the back pain is now just about gone. The skin pain is still there, also my right lymph node is enlarged and the skin around it is also tender. The skin on my back and around to my chest feels like it is tender too , like mild.sunburn or goosebumps, it is on my left side. I went to the doctor but he said there's no rash then it's not shingles. He sort of put it down to nerve pain but im not convinced. The last few days I feel a bit tired too. There is no rash whatsoever but the skin pain is very painful at times especially on the groin where the lymph node is.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martin,

What you describe sounds like Shingles. The burning pain on the skin, wrapping around the back to the chest, one-sided, and fatigue are classic Shingles.

You certainly can have Shingles without the rash. It is called Zoster Sine Herpete.

Many Physicians are abysmally ignorant about the disease, the diagnosis, the accompanying symptoms,the treatment, and the management.

Shingles can be triggered by an injury, trauma, or surgery to an area on the body, as well as stress. Other factors are Irritable Bowel Disease, Autoimmune Diseases such as

SLE, RA, Psoriasis, Sjogrens, ITP,

or being immunocompromised with Cancer , on corticosteroids, immunomodulators. Age also increases your risk.

Other accompanying symptoms of Herpes Zoster-Shingles may include headache, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, fatigue and exhaustion.

My suggestion to you is to go to A&E or Urgent Care and ask for Antivirals. Also ask for pain medications as the pain will get worse before it gets better.

Martin, are you relatively healthy or do you have any risk factors I mentioned. If so, you need to mention those risk factors to the doctor. If someone is immunocompromised, their sometimes can't produce a rash, but they can become even sicker with Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It is attacking your Central Nervous System.

You need to rest and sleep.

Please let me know how you make out. If the Physician is unwilling to prescribe an Antiviral, ask him to look up Zoster Sine Herpete.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and information. My health other than what im going through is fairly good. Im never sick and I jog 5 miles 5 days a week and also walk my dog for an hour each day. I don't feel too ill at the moment it's just the pain and fatigue in feeling is bothering me. I don't feel sick or unwell other than the pain I have on my skin. I think I could be also a little run down. I work 5 days a week, jog every day and walk my hour an hour each day. Also have a little baby who takes up loads of time too and I have to admit I don't eat enough. Some days I've gone for run and walk and it will be nearly 2pm in work and im so busy I have forgotten to eat. Maybe this has been brought on by stress. But other than that I have no illnesses or have never been sick.

• Posted

Martin,

How old are you and how old is the baby?

It sounds like a huge amount of stress, the baby can be a positive stressor, your not eating in a balanced pattern, etc.

If you Google "Dermatome,"

you will see dermatome maps and follow your particular map of pain in the thoracic region

Then, I would see another physician, either in an A&E or Urgent Care. Tell the Physician you have Zoster Sine Herpete in the Dermatome T-? (somewhere between T1-12 according to the Dermatome map.)

Then, if they offer you an Antiviral, fine. You can ask them what else would cause the burning pain in the specific Dermatome distribution? ....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Then go to

• Posted

Im 37 and the baby, well not a baby anymore, she's a toddler now and she is 2. I do suffer from health anxiety and I am always worried about something being seriously wrong with me. So I guess that doesn't help either. Ive now noticed a patch on my right side of my body is also sore to touch. Which makes me think it's now not shingles. With no visible signs it's hard to diagnose I suppose. The burning sensation in my groin lymph node is by far the worst.

• Posted

I’m sorry, but your symptoms sound very similar to what happened months ago. We were on a 3 week vacation and I attributed my pain to various, logical things. Ten days 

later when we got home, it clicked, was it shingles? I had a couple of tiny barely noticeable bumps, but the pain had been gone for several days. The doc said it wasn’t well until it was, a week later as the pain intensified and I got the diagnosis. Sadly I missed the window for the antivirals. I’m slowly getting better, but had to stop working, and am on several medications to deal with the pain.

Maybe it’s not shingles, and/or you’ll be one of the lucky ones who get a light case, but if the pain or symptoms worsen call your doctor ASAP. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, and Merry’s extremely knowledgeable.

• Posted

Martin,

As I've stated in the private message, you need to be evaluated ASAP by a knowledgeable physician. It also isn't good for your health to keep fretting about this. Action will help your state of mind.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Martin, I am a 72 year old fit runner for 40 years.In August of this year I developed severe pain in my right lower abdomen and my right side back. I was doing remodeling and do not remember hurting myself. I thought somehow I had pulled muscles. Two weeks after the pain started I discovered a blister rash on my right stomach and lower back. I There was no pain or itching from the rash. I looked on the internet and self diagnosed the rash came from stress. I really screwed up (my wife really scolded me for keeping silent about it). Within days the rash blisters opened up and the pain became worse. I went to immediate care and was diagnosed as shingles. I had the vaccine 4 years prior. I was told I was probably to late for relief from the 7 days of pills prescribed. He was correct. I suffered for three months with the pain. I tried every suggestion other than taking a narcotic without success. I had to stop running and power walking for two months due to fatigue. Now after five months I still have a fair amount of discomfort but most pain is gone. I can do some running an power walking. I do have itching that I will not touch. I definitely have PHN but at 72 I expect this will add to other maladies of aging. Good luck!! 
  • Posted

I'm 64 and currently have shingles. 1 month into it, to be exact. Don't know if it is rare, my pain for the first 4 days was on my right side,then I broke out on my left side trunk lighly with blisters. Back to now,1month. I'm now having headaches and red swollen eyes, and lymph notes on both sides of my neck still hurt. It's confusing...because my face is not the sight of my orignal pain& blisters.

Help? I'm I crazy?

• Posted

Hi Martin,

I had very odd symptoms before my shingles rash came out. When the rash finally did come out, it was on my forehead and scalp. But I had an odd pain in my abdomen and a searing pain in my temple for 4 or 5 days before the rash appeared. When the doctor saw me there was not a rash to be seen, but after 3 more days the rash appeared on my forehead and scalp. I still have an odd discomfort in my abdomen and have an endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled. I am convinced the discomfort and burning I feel in my abdomen is post shingle neuralgia. I have been through so much these past couple months that I could write a book. With Covid at the forefront it is difficult for a doctor to take anything else seriously. I am disappointed and struggling on what to do next, who to turn to etc. Hope you feel some relief and were able to enjoy the holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.