Is this side affects of Citalopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking Citalopram for 16 days and yesterday I woke up and felt great no anxious feeling sickness had gone completely. This morning I woke up and it's all back again anxious and sickness., I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation. It's driving me mad, I can't stand feeling like this all the time it's been 6 weeks. I haven't been properly diagnosed with anxiety but asked my doctor for some medication to help with the anxiety and continuous nausea feeling I had.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi June

The good days will come more often in time .

Some good , some bad but more good as time goes on good days .

I'm on week 6 and from around week 4 I was having mostly good days.

Keep going you will start to feel better soon x

Debi x

• Posted

Thank you Deb for you reassurance. It's just worrying when your not told anything about the medication from your doctor. I have found this site so helpful and the people here so understanding. Thank you
    • Posted

Hello debi . I am just coming up to the 4 weeks on 10 mg and was feeling a lot better , but the past few days I have felt anxious again , appetites gone down again and I've had an upset tummy . Will things improve again ? I am due on this week so I don't know if hormones are having an affect . I'm just worried that I'm slipping again or is this normal ? Take care X
    • Posted

Hi Jane

Think it's still early days .

I notice my periods cramps were agony when I first came on on this medication . So Defo does effect your hormones too.

In sure that's all it is and will hopefully pass .

Debi x

• Posted

Hi June

This site has helped me sooooo much as my doctors didn't mention side effects to me neither.

If in doubt post and ask 😃

Hope you feel better soon side effects suck but they do pass .

Debi x

• Posted

Hi Debi,

I quite agree I don't know what I would have done without this site, and the people here are so lovely.

Take care

June X

• Posted

Yes thats normal.  Recovery comes in waves - good days, bad days, good weeks or months, bad days or months.  It gets better as time goes by and the bad times get less and less as your body levels out.

Doesnt matter what dose you're on either - it'll just happen.

Go with the flow, let it happen, be patient and you'll feel great all the time eventually.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for your valuable information it's so nice to be able to receive answers from people in the same position. Had no advise from my GP.
    • Posted

Doctors can be quite useless and often inform their patients they'll feel better in a few weeks.  Nope.  It's often months and months.  They also don't prepare their patients with what to expect either - in fact, they just don't know.

I've said for years that doctors need to be more educated with these meds as they're quie serious stuff.

It's quite shocking that people are often left to their own devices when they need support through the illness and these meds.  Often you get no sympathy either.

You'll get more support and information on this site.  There's some really helpful people on here.

K xx

• Posted

I have been feeling increasingly anxious again these past few days . I have been on 10 mg for a month tomorrow and I am on my first period since starting medication . I had only just come on last month when I began the treatment , following a meltdown in the doctors office and crying ( rather embarrassing ) . At the moment feeling rough again period pains , upset tummy , migraine , nauseous , although this could be to do with the migraine , not sleeping so well and the fear of mornings again . I have only just gone back to work after being signed off and I can't lose anymore time . I hate feeling like this as I was feeling better and my husband and daughter had definitely noticed an improvement in me . Now I seem to have gone backwards . It's so good to come on here as there are so many wonderful and supportive people that have or are currently going through this that can offer advice . Any thoughts please as I am really feeling down and anxious . Sorry it's all so long winded X
    • Posted

Hi Jane

It may just be your periods that is causing you to feel unwell . I was the same as yourself only recently came on for the first time on these meds are my pain was awful but it did pass in a few days.

I really think you do take a few steps back when it's that time of the month.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Yes I totally agree with everything you say Kate ,I can't believe the doctor gave me a prescription for these tablets only on the basis that I told him I was feeling nauseas and had an anxious feeling. I was was just handed a prescription without any diagnosis and told to come back in 3weeks, when I started taking the tablets I didn't know what was going on I felt so ill and frightened, I went back to the doctor and told him how I felt he still didn't explain any side affects and he handed me another prescription for a higher dose and for diazepam. When I went to the pharmacy they told me to be careful with taking these both and asked me to call in anytime for a chat so I had more support from my local chemist. It's appalling and I'm considering changing my surgery and formally making a complaint. Thank god for this site it has been a life saver for me and everyone on here is so supportive. Thanks to everyone. X

• Posted

Hi Jane

Hey don't worry, I've done exactly the same at my doctors - he used to keep a box of tissues on his desk and think I used most of them up!  I even phoned him up at desperate times and snivelled down the phone.  We struggle along, bottle it up, and when we see get in to see the doctor that's when it all just becomes too much and we break down.  It's natural, and I'm sure they've seen many patients do the same.

So a month on the medicine is still early, and you're bound to feel up and down.  Periods are a time when our hormones are all over the place too so it's bound to be a time that'll make you feel worse.

Yes you will feel like you're going backwards - it seems a normal part of the recovery process.  I've been there myself.  It always feels like your going 2 steps forward then 3 steps back.  This can happen many times as you recover.  Try and tell yourself that you are recovering and your body is just reacting in a normal way.  It's temporary and it will pass.  You'll probably find yourself getting calmer again as you had been feeling, and again you'll probably find yourself going backwards further down the line.

As time goes by the low times will get less and less and they won't feel so intense, and the good times will get longer and stronger until eventually you'll feel great all the time.

Small things can upset the routine too and make you feel low.  It could be anything, and it's just your body reacting.  Even a cold can drag you down.  In time as you heal, you won't get as low around your period, but probably just feel way you should each month.

So, expect the low times, try and ride the wave and go with it, however bad it might feel, and eventually over much time it'll all even out.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement . That's really helped . I've got a day off work today so I'm relaxing and watching some telly with my little dog by my side . She likes having me at home . At least now I feel calm at home on my own as only recently if my husband and daughter were at work on a Monday and Thursday when I am off I couldn't stay in. I was always out finding anywhere to drive to just because I couldn't settle indoors on my own and my house seemed strange to me . I hope this doesn't sound weird but ever since my mum passed away last year I gradually went downhill with grief , anxiety and depression . I think it's probably because I used to see her a lot when I wasn't at work . Anyway sorry for waffling , but the tablets must be doing something now as I am quite happy here on my sofa in the warm . Jane Xx
    • Posted

Omg I can't believe your doctor could be so irresponsible.  These meds are serious stuff and shouldn't just be issued without any prep or support either.  Sadly that's what a lot of them seem to do now.  When I first started these meds I was put on them my doctor and other medical professionals talked me through it, drew diagrams and explained it thoroughly (even though it was hard to understand).  I only had severe anxiety and depression which just wouldn't go away with regular anti depressants.  Sadly my doctor retired 🙁

It's clear he doesn't understand the side effect feelings of Citalopram as you will feel worse at the beginning of taking them.  Diazepam can help to relieve the feelings of course, but many people do just ride out the side effect feelings as they ease in time.

I'd make a complaint.  Tell them to also take a good at this site - they might learn a few things too 😄

You'll get lots of support and information on this site.

K x

• Posted

No worries, waffle away, I do my fair share of waffling (or rabbitting) 🐰

I used to to feel exactly the same.  I hated being indoors on my own.  It felt weird and I used to feel anxious at the thought of it.  I used to go out too.  It shows your healing if you now feel more comfortable being able to do that.  Sounds my kind of thing - sofa, blanket, dog (or in my case my 2 cats).

I lost both my parents within weeks of each other 7 years ago and it took a good year to grieve I remember.  Think I cried every day for that year.  I still miss them terribly but my grief has healed.

Enjoy the sofa - I now feel mine is beckoning along with a cup,of tea 🙂

• Posted

Great minds think alike . Just made a lovely cup of tea , sitting on the sofa and chicken casseroles in the oven . Only thing I miss is a good glass of wine with my dinner , but I can manage without that . Recovery is far more important Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.