Is this silent reflux

Posted , 3 users are following.

my gp says i have silent reflux but i dont know. Roughly every 4 weeks no matter what i eat i being it back up. Its like the food gets stuck & i have to run to the toilet to bring it back up. I have been on Pantoprazole since August but it hasnt made any difference. When i get sick i have so much phelgm. This usually lasts for 3-5 days then im ok again for a few weeks. Any suggestions??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't know enough to know if your condition is silent reflux. Mine was identified primarily because of my chronic cough. And I also had occasional symptoms of a lump in my throat, rarely awareness of very minor heartburn, and frequent post nasal drip. For everyone's info, I'm female and in my mid 50's. Other than taking tums once in a while, and gaviscon advanced regularly until the end of 2019, I've not been on any medication.

I've been trying to heal since April 2019. I've made slow and occasional up and down type progress. So before 2 weeks ago (early January 2020) I was experiencing noticeable improvements, but my improvements seemed mostly stagnant since Sept.

What I did up to last month was try to eat a little less (as I was overeating), tried to eat a little healthier, tried to finish eating 4 hrs before bedtime (which helped when I was successful with this), and generally tried to be healthier to lose weight as I was 35lbs overweight when I began focusing on my healing in April. I was able to lose 17 lbs from April to December,

What made a significant change was adding two factors. Beginning in December 2019 I joined a gym and have been using it regularly of 3 to 5 days per week, with an average of an hour workout. Most of those vigorous workouts, and I think. I made sure that I would work out on a near empty stomach most of the time.

I've noticed significant improvements over the past few weeks. My coughing has almost completely gone away, and I haven't had a lump sensation in my throat for weeks. And overall I feel better and lost 2 more pounds. And I no longer feel the need to take the gaviscon advance nearly as often as before.

I've also recently began changing my diet some more in that I'm trying to substitute some of my carbs for more protein and vegies. That seems to be helping also.

When I lapse, such as yesterday I overate and had more carbs than usual, then I begin coughing more often again. Although, I've never gone back to the worst I felt back in April since I've begun making changes.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Ive never had heartburn, indigestion or a cough at all. i eat very small meals, usually 1 weetabix for breakfast/lunch then a child size meal late afternoon/early evening. i never eat after this. i exercise for 2 hours everyday. i am not overweight i am also a female mid 50's. It doesnt seem to matter what it is i eat when i'm going through my bad patch, it can even be soup! i do find though that green stuff like lettuce, broccoli, green beans etc make me particularly bad. When i get it the pain in my chest sometimes feels what i can only imagine a heart attack feels like!! i'm at a loss as to know what causes this !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.