Is this solar urticaria? Please help!! Need suggestions for treatment

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 17 year old girl. Since I was 6, I’ve been getting hives from the sun. A year ago, my allergist diagnosed me with solar urticaria and authorized be to take up to 4 Allegra a day to treat it. She also added Pepsid to that regimen once Allegra wasn’t working. Neither treatments work whatsoever. My condition goes like this: I am exposed to the sun directly for over an hour, and around 24-48 hours later, my skin breaks out into hives in all the same places (face, inside of arms, thighs, back of knees). It’s always very itchy and lasts a few days at least. This doesn’t sound like solar urticaria because SU is caused almost immediately after sun exposure, and disappears within a few hours. I am so miserable with this condition especially in the summer months. I’ve thought about Xolair shots but they’re for chronic idiopathic urticaria, not for the symptoms I’m describing. Any suggestions for treatments help. I am at a loss and don’t know if my doctors suggestions are correct. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The best treatment is to avoid being in the sun at all cost.  I don’t think there is a cure. Wish you all the best.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.