Is this (soreness and swelling) normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had ORIF surgery for a trimalleolar fracture on 7/19. Just transitioned to FWB with a boot last week. Felt so liberating to be able to drive and walk again, albeit with a boot, but about 3-4 days in, my ankle became very sore and swollen. I have been doing my PT exercises pretty religiously and had been told by my doctor and physio that I was making good progress, but feel very discouraged at the pain and difficulty I have in walking (limping) even after 8 weeks. From what I have seen online, it is not unusual to deal with pain and swelling for a long time, and this has tempered my optimism about my recovery quite a bit. It's a real roller coaster, this injury, and not in a good way. I just hope that I am not overdoing it (even though obeying doctor's orders) and prolonging my recovery or doing further damage to my ankle. Is this to be expected?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow! I had ORIF surgery for a trimalleolar fracture on 7/13 and was released for PWB in boot at seven weeks. I'm almost at nine weeks and still in the boot FWB but using a walker. I have swelling and pain. Seems like you're doing a lot very soon. 

• Posted

I feel the same. Feels like I'm doing too much too soon.

• Posted

I too had a triamaelleor fracture and surgery on 6/28. 

I am 10 weeks post op. Still struggle with walking . I've had weeks of PT and do my exercises everyday as well as Epsom salt warm soaks and ice 2-3 times a day. I wake up very stiff and need to really get warmed up to head out to work 2 hours prior.

I feel your pain and frustration but I know the healing with this is 2 steps forward 2 back, swelling, soreness etc.

Try to keep your chin up and know that you are so far from the initial experience..... so challenging 

My affirmation daily is my ankle heals everyday, I grow stronger and more steady on my feet.

• Posted

Hi Robert! I am 10 weeks out and still not walking! I can take small steps (in a boot) but my ankle still hurts and feels numb and am on crutches. Don't push yourself too hard. Sometimes even the therapists don't know your limits. Be sure to rest, massage, prop and ice your foot. I had two fractures, the inner and outer ankle and they say that's what's taking me a little longer. Have you tried a cane? Maybe that would take some of the pressure off of that foot.

• Posted

Hi, Sandra,

I used a crutch for the first few days of full weight bearing, but I found it awkward. I'm not very coordinated. Thanks for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.