Is this stiffness normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys

I am 4 weeks 1 day post op on both feet. For the last 4/5 nights i have been experiencing some stiffness from the tip of the toes straight up to the front of the foot to the instep, I try and circle my foot to relieve this which it does momentarily. However, today i have had the stiffness all day and just wondered if anyone else had been having this and if its normal. Dont have follow up for another 2 weeks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margot, 

i still ill have pain and stiffness on the top of my feet. I have just been swimming for the first time and it was really noticeable. I was doing breast stroak, very slowly because I am not a very good swimmer.. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Swampiesue. How far in are you? And how did you manage to get in and out of pool? I dread the day when I have to weight bare - right now I dont feel as if its going to be possible to put weight on my feet.
    • Posted

My wedge shoe has been off since the weekend when I bought a pair of Teva sandals.  They are the active range and wonderful support on the sole but with only straps on upper, which leaves my foot free from rubbing on leather or fabric.  I was given a toe splint to wear for protection, and I wear that in bed or when i go out of the house.  It was wonderful the first time I put my foot into the sandal, I was amazed how I could just about walk, especially after hobbling around the house in the wedge.  If I stay on my foot for more than 15 mins I get sort of tingling on the sole, and as I said before the big toe get tight.  I didn't think I could weight bear but was happily satisfied when I tried.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara.

Both my feet are quite puffy on the ball of my foot and i am getting some pain from the left one. I weaned myslf off all meds - codeine 2 weeks ago, paracetemol 1 week ago and ibuprofen 3 days ago. I dont know if the pain was maybe there all the time and just feeling it now that the meds have worn off. Anyway im going back to ibuprofen and paracetmol for a few days (smaller doses though as i am not really a fan of meds). I'm still resting for about 85% of the day so really not overdoing things.

Back to the walking - I'm glad you are doing so well. I just think with having both feet done i'm not going to have the safety et of jumping onto a good foot.

• Posted

Oh I couldn't imagine not having one good foot, it's getting worn out though, and my backs been really painful too.  It'll all be worthwhile in the end.  
    • Posted

How many weeks are you postop? And thanks for the tip on sandals. I'm online looking at them as we speak.
    • Posted

I'm 4 weeks tomorrow.  I bought my sandals from Blacks, but saw them online so knew which ones to buy.  They are really hiking sandals, but they are doing good for me at home and out.  I have had scarf and akin osteoctomy and k ire to straighten hammer middle toe.  The pin comes out in Wednesday so hoping my foot will feel better them, it very bruised where the pin finishes on the metatasol bin middle of foot.
    • Posted

I am week 10, but my feet are still very swollen and I broke my toe week 2 again. I have been able to weight bare since week 6 but I only had the one foot done. I am getting a lot of pain in my feet, my right root pain however has nothing to do with the operation. My left foot however is still very stiff and painful. How did I get in and out of the pool ? I'd say very slowly, but they are steps and not a ladder.. 
  • Posted

Hi.  I'm 4 weeks tomorrow.  I get stiffness when I've been on my feet, it doesn't look swollen but think it is inflamed.  When I put my feet up, it eases a little.  I am getting dull pain ache in the arch of my foot and in my ankle too.   I guess we will have to expect all these niggly aches and pains for a while.
  • Posted

Hi I am 15 weeks post op and suffered with lots of stiffness but this has eased with physio. My physio said some suffer with it and others don't.  I have been massaging my foot a lot and the weekly physio has really helped.

at 4 weeks I think it is normal but just try to ease it as much as you can.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sue. Its good to hear from someone further on who has had the same problems. I find it is sometimes worse when i have a sock on and sem to get some relief when i remove it. I have been trying to gently rub them a little when i wash them and hope that physio will help me too. That wont be until after the 6 week point though (am i right on that?).

Again thankyou for your reply. Its much appreciated.

• Posted

Yes that's right after 6 weeks. I didn't do much with mine prior to that other than attempt to wiggle toes and massage scar once it had healed.  I confess to been a little afraid of it too!

i read on here about doing toe raises against a wall and this hurt quite a bit so not sure if I did that too early or if that was my increased stiffness fighting against the bend.  When I look back I was desperate for progress and kept stalling but now I realise I have come a long way and practically list the limp.  Would just like more flexibility and to stop swelling up in the evenings.

i am not the most patient patient so this has been a bit of a struggle for me and I would not get the other one done!

• Posted

Me too!  This one is enough, so glad the other toe not so bad.  I'm bit worried I'm standing for too long.  Even cleaned floors yesterday (vacuum and steam cleaner - no bending), I'm only 4 weeks.  I get tingling under my foot on sole, but in evening it really feels uncomfortable where the toe seems extra inflamed and tight.  I've started to use hot and cold packs, and massage day and evening the whole foot and around wound.  There is still a scab, do i allow the moisturiser on the scab too?  I'm using equivalent to E45?
    • Posted

Hi Barbara. I used moisturiser on mine when there was still a small scab left and it was fine.  Especially e45 but once the scab had gone you can get stuck in a bit more depending on sensitivity and really massage the scar tissue away.  I massaged the whole foot as the tendon release spot caused me more more bother than main op site.  As time goes on you can be firmer but listen to your foot in the early days.  If your wound looks angry or inflamed I would avoid moisturising scar until it settles down though.

sue

• Posted

Thanks sue.  I have some bio oil, thought maybe use that on the scar, but prob not on the scab.  Your tendon release, is that between your big toe and second?  I have a wound there where I thought the surgeon joined or,ship orated tissue to being the bone in line with second metatarsal, it is very painful and lumpy.  Maybe it was tendon too, I've learnt a lot about the foot since op but still lot more to know.
    • Posted

Sorry should have read before sending. Wound between big and second, had tissue taken away to join up the first and second metatarsal bone.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara - when the nurse took my stitches out, i mentioned that i was going to use bio oil on them and she told me not for 6 months. Apparently the wound has to be be completely healed before we can use this. I would have thought the scar should be properly healed before this. When i see surgeon in at 6 week check, i will ask him about bio oil.
    • Posted

Hi Margot. I think you are ok once the scab has gone for bio and even then I think they are just being cautious.

sue

• Posted

Hi Barbara.  I have a very small scare just below my second toe and despite the consultant telling me that tendon release was not performed...at my second appointment at 6 weeks he released my notes and said it had!  It is just a small lump and has meant that I have a lot of stiffness around there. Upside is my toes are all lively and straight and level although initially my second toe was lower and I was concerned.  I have noticed that my big toe is lightly turned into the others though but imagine that is the best they can do!  Very happy appearance wise just annoyed at flexibility and residual aches and pains!
    • Posted

Hi sue, I think I'll ask if the tendon was released at that point, since I have the lump and soreness as you have.  Strange, I've been looking at my big toe all week (dressing taken off a week ago) and been wondering whether it was straight, the toenail part seems to be turning slightly towards the other toes.  Was hoping it would straighten when inflammation goes down.  Oh well as you say, at least its straight! 
    • Posted

I'm having the pin taken out of hammer toe tomorrow, think I'll ask about bio oil, if  see the surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.