Is this still a virus

Posted , 3 users are following.

A week ago last Sunday I started to feel unwell.  A really horrible cough developed and I felt really ill.  I couldnt eat, felt nauseous and a had ache and in fact had the aches and pains like flu.  I was weak, slept badly and did all the things to help the cought eg inhalations and I took paracetamol in the recommentded dosage.  Today, 9 days later, I am still not right although the nurse at the surgery has checked chest which is clear.  The trouble is I am still so weak and have the most funny feelings in my head.  No pains exactly but it seems like small shocks.  My appetite has not returned but I am trying to eat to get strong.  If this is a virus I havent had one that lasted so long.  I know the cought can last a long time but I cant think of anyone who has felt as unwell for so long.  Is there anyone out there who is suffering like me.   I have not smoke for over 30 years by the way.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi bianca,

just try and hang in there as i know what you are going through,i first went to doc on the 29th december and was told it was virul,got worse and felt as though i was dying so went back on the 2nd january to see another doctor who said i had a severe chest infection ,have been on antibiotics for 6 days now and can only see a small inmprovement ,but a difference to what it was ,i suggest you go back to doc as they are missing these so called virus that are turning to something much more serious ,i hope you soon feel better whatever the outcome ,and as regarding your head ,mine felt like i had fireworks going off inside ,very strange and unpleasant ,but just wrote this to say you are not on your own in having these symptoms .

hope this has helped .

• Posted

Thank you so much for that.  I like your description of fireworks in the head, yes it is like that.  I just wish I could get back to my old self I feel miserable keep dripping around as I am doing.  I am try on not to take anymore Paracetamol for a while. 

Regards

• Posted

Bianca,  If you could list "ALL" of the medications you are on, including vitamins, supplements, prescription meds, or over the counter meds (every medication for everything) that would help.  Also your diet.  It might just be something simple like that.
  • Posted

Thank you for your interest.  I have been taking magnesium for many months with no side effects.  Cod liver oil and glucosamine which I have now stopped taking to see if it makes a difference.  Apart from Paracetamol which I have cut down drastically, I cannot think of anything else that could be making me feel so rotten.  I am now wondering if I have an ear infection which would account for the pressure and fireworks in the head.
    • Posted

If you haven't already, please get your vitamin B12 and D3 levels checked.  Those 2 tests are not part of the normal blood workup tests.  You have to ask (and sometimes demand) the doctor to check these levels.  B12 deficiency can cause those "brain zaps" and also make you feel depressed and horrible.  My husband was taking a proton pump inhibitor for acid reflux (Omeprazole, Nexium, etc) and it was blocking the absorption of B12 and D.  He quit the PPI and started taking mega doses of B12 and D3.  He's a brand new man.  Go to youtube and search for this  "Diagnosing and Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency"
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the advice I will get some B12 tabs from pharmacy and see if D3 is in any of the tablets.  If things are not back to normal in the very near future a visit to the doctor is clearly on the cards.
  • Posted

Hi bianca,

So sorry you are feeling this poorly for so long.  There is nothing worse than not being able to feel well quickly.  Perhaps it would be well to have your ears and sinuses checked out.  I agree with jazmia in that going back to the doctor is a good idea.  Another thing I would ask for regarding the cough, is for my sputum, the gunk I cough up, to be tested to see if bacteria is living in your lungs and which antibiotic would help the most.  However, I am in the U.S. and not sure how easy it would be in the U.K., which is where I am assuming you are living.

Sure hope you clear up soon!

Dawn  U.S.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.