Is this stress disorder?

Posted , 2 users are following.

To cut a long story short since September 2017 until about 3-4 months ago I was harassed and stalked by a work colleague. Not in a sexual way but kind of a full-on obsession. I was followed round the office, monitored, watched, stared at, sworn at, frequently quizzed about my activities, there were problems if I spoke to other people and serious issues if I had social events with other people. I told the company pretty quickly what was happening but it took a long time for them to really take action. The stalker had - it turned out - issues of their own that they never disclosed when they took the job. Then these issues manifested as severe problems in the workplace later. Once the company understood it did take action and redeployed the person into another unit. At first the relief was amazing. I felt a little more like myself again, others noticed that I was back to normal. But I still don’t feel completely back to normal inside. I feel angry and frustrated and I can’t shake the thoughts about what the person did. Some days it dominates my thoughts. Some nights I have nightmares about the person doing things like pinning my head to my desk and refusing to let me go. If the person has to come to our office I get panicky inside and start shaking. I do feel traumatised by it all but reading other experiences on here mine seems like nothing. But it is real and it has hugely impacted my mental well-being. The question is can you get some kind of post traumatic disorder from what I’ve been through. Otherwise I don’t know what is happening to me.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Darren 30258. When i was a child i was bullied by my step mother and these memories stay with you for a long time, we all had something done to us.

P.T.S.D. relates to all symptoms a circumstances in life. You could see something by accident it's still P.T.S.D, how we deal with these problems helps us to overcome mixed feelings and then we can help our self and others. If you continue to express your feelings on paper you will be helpings others to see that they are not alone.

Kindest regards 

. John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.