Is this the beginning of the menopause journey

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I am wondering how you you knew that you were in the perimenopause stage?

I am 45 in 2 weeks. My problems started over 2 years ago. Mostly light dizzy spells especially in shops. I did have a seizure and the only thing they found was low ferratin due to heavy periods. At this point I was probably also suffering from achy legs and nausea which was mostly in the morning.

The dizzy spells have got much worse and are now constant. A few people started to mention the menopause to me and at first I disregarded it. However the last 6 months or so my monthly cycles have changed - much closer together - usually about 23/24 days and then an odd cycle at 29 days. My periods are heavy and last from a day to a week.

i have tried to monitor my symptoms and they do change over the month but I can't see a clear pattern

I have started to take a herbal menopuase supplement, evening primrose oil, b6, b12 and d vitamins. Sure the achy legs are much better and the nausea reduced. No change to my dizziness

Finally the last 2 months I have dreadful anxiety, scared to go anywhere alone? 

Does this sound like the beginning of the menopause? Has anyone taken at HRT at this stage? I am happy to take anything to help. 

Appreciate any advise

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Talk to your doctor. Maybe labs to check hormone levels? My periods were very sparse between 43 and 46. They stopped for about 11 months once and I had very intense hot flashes then.  Last period was October 2016. Only in the last year have I started noticing dizziness and anxiety for the first time in my life. Hot flashes occasionally. I had GERD for about 3 years prior to menopause, which I now wonder if connected to peri. I guess I didn’t recognize peri for what it was at the time. My doctor says there’s no point in running labs for hormone levels now, but maybe at your stage it’s more appropriate? Also a good idea to check thyroid. 
  • Posted

Hi louise yes sounds like menopause. I was really bad with the dizziness went onto hrt patches over 2 years ago and I don't often get them now. Same as you the sickness feeling on a morning, aching joints and health anxiety is terrible. I take magnesium 500mg tablets once a night is does help a bit. Your not alone darl xx

• Posted

Louise,

I too started showing symptoms in my mid 40’s but had no idea what was wrong. Heavy periods, anxiety, digestion problems, bloating etc. my periods were still regular. It wasn’t intil I turned 53 that my periods started to skip a month or 2. My anxiety isn’t too bad now but i’ve had test for everything and all checked out good. I found this forum a few years ago and it really helped to know other women suffer the same, some even worse. I have had a period in 7 months now and i’m 55 so i’m Hoping I’m done but I have fatigue, achy joints, muscle weakness everyday and put on weight. I can’t wait to feel good!

• Posted

You can do bloodwork to test for sure, but it sounds like it to me! The anxiety is a buggar. I am actually taking something for the first time in my life. All of the "health" (perimenopausal) issues that nobody can explain cause major anxiety for me. Menopause feels like you are dying sometimes. Such unexplainable issues! It plays with your mind. Ask for blood hormone test to put your mind at ease. Also general bloodwork to rule out anything else for the same reason. Best of luck! Welcome to the club 😰

• Posted

Hi Louise...

I will be 50 in December. Dizziness has been debilitating for me fhe past several months. No period since October of last year. And like you, don't want to leave the house alone. I vomit occaisionally and feel nauseated almost all the time. Anxiety has been horrible lately! My heart rate was such that my gyn was alarmed at my appointment Monday. My thyroid is VERY swollen also. I have almost all of the symptoms of peri menopause. Pap and ultrasound were normal. Awaiting bloodwork results and HRT maybe? My doc said he will get to the bottom of this for me. Thank God! I always had heavy bleeding, endometriosis and anemia. Taking vitamin b complex and magnesium, and a multiple vitamin. I'll follow up with you after I get my results. But your story reads VERY much like mine. Hang in there!

Nancy

• Posted

If you rule out a thyroid problem, you might ask about a beta blocker first instead of hrt. Depends on the severity of you symptoms. My most bothersome symptom is the fast heart rate/palpitations. Low dose Metoprolol (50mgs) has helped. It also brings down my level of anxiety a bit. 
    • Posted

Hi Nancy. My doc did the same for me as Terri's did for her...put me in metoprolol for BP n heart rate. Helps w anxiety. What you've written is exactly how I feel.

We are in this together.

• Posted

Thanks Teri! I took Metoprol for years after my son was born, but have been off of it for a long time. BP was a little high. It's under control now, but maybe I need to take it again.

• Posted

My BP was normal before metoprolol and the med lowers it some. My cardiologist said to drink plenty of water and up my sodium intake. It’s not dangerously low - like 110/75. 
    • Posted

I must drink almost a gallon of water per day. Always have. That's weird you say that...I've been craving salt lately. And beef. ?

• Posted

Louise

Perimenopause can last up to 10 years and the average age it starts is around 40-42 years (genetics plays a big part), normally very subtle changes. Full menopause is when you have had no period for a full 12 months, the reason why we have to wait 12 months is due to fluctuating hormone levels and This is one reason why blood tests don't give a reliable results. Saliva tests are better but they have to be given everyday for certain amount of days, expensive and not generally available on NHS if you are in the UK. The anxiety is often caused by adrenal surges (same surges that cause hot flashes/flushes) if you can get your mind around what they are 'simply hormone fluctuations and not anything sinister' then your own mind will handle itself. It has taken me 2 and half years and 28lbs weight gain and few herbal supplements and reading mountains of material on the subject to get a handle on how I transition through, I am still in peri but hoping that I will be in menopause soon (no more tampons

or cramps hooray). It is worth asking for a thyroid blood test just to rule this out and perhaps an appointment with Gynae to rule out fibroids (not sinister either but can cause heavy periods)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.