Is this the sertraline? Beware TMI

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my name is Gina and I'm 25 years old. I started using sertraline for anxiety on the 25/03/2022 on 25mg for a week and then increased the dose to 50mg. I had all kinds of side effects but because I knew it was the sertraline it didnt bother me as much. The side effects wore off and I was actually feeling better. I wasnt feeling as anxious and thought the sertraline was working. But then last Wednesday (13/04/22) I noticed a change in my bowel habits. I usually go once a day in the morning but I had to go twice in the morning and then on thursday it happened again. On thursday I noticed red blood on the toilet paper like a splotch of it but kept telling myself it was cause of the change in toilet paper (it was cheap and rough). Then on friday and saturday I had to go 3 times and then Sunday till now ive been going to defeacate 4 times a day. Now I have health anxiety so this really started to freak me out and i jumped to the worse conclusion that i had bowel cancer. I spoke to the doctor on tuesday about it and they said its probably a stomach bug but its not like im having diarrhoea. I asked her if it could be the sertraline and she said it could be but I was insistent it wasnt a stomach bug and told her my worries about bowel cancer (again i have health anxiety). So she requested I do a stool sample for bugs and parasites which i did today. Now I need to wait for the results.

If you got past that long read basically what i was wondering is can sertraline increase youre bowel movements to 4 times a day and not be diarrhoea after a month of being on it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Gina, i was taking 25mg of setraline in february this year, increased to 50mg after 4 weeks for the last two weeks I've had awful diarrhoea, not really able to eat anything other than white rice and white bread. I found a few threads linking this to sertraline but the gp didn't think it was linked and a sample has been sent off. interested to see what other people have found and if it improved if you stopped, this isnt manageable for me so not going to continue with sertraline. i have health anxiety so this is not helping at all!! hope youre ok

• Posted

hi Beatrice

have you gotten your results back? Mine only tested for bugs and it came back clear. The nurse said its probably the sertraline but I'm not sure anymore. I do have another appointment in 2 weeks time for a medication review so if this bowel issue hasnt resolved by then Im gonna bring it up again.

Hope youre doing well.

Gina

• Posted

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your reply. my tests for infection came back clear but unfortunately traces of blood were detected. i went on sertraline in the first place for health anxiety so this is all horrendous. the GP has sent on an urgent referral and got a text this morning from them explaining it was being sent due to suspected cancer. i dont know whether this is being put through a system due to my symptoms or due to the GP really thinking i have cancer but it is freaking me out obviously! on a positive note my bowels are so so much better after 8 days off sertraline and also didnt really have withdrawal symptoms despite going cold turkey.

has the gp referred you on at all for more investigations? hope youre ok, i'll make sure i check in on this site, keep forgetting

• Posted

Hi beatrice

I'm sorry to hear about your results. I know its difficult when you have health anxiety, you cant help but jump to the worse conclusion. Having blood in your stools doesnt necessarily mean you have cancer, there are other conditions that cause it too but your doctor probably referred you just in case as it is a sign/symptom.

I'm no doctor but since you said your bowels have been doing a lot better since coming off the sertraline, it probably was the sertraline causing it but still its better to get checked out by the doctor just in case.

Have you heard anything back about your referral yet?

I spoke to a nurse about my results and she wasnt really that helpful but I do have a review coming up so I'll bring it up again.

Gina

• Posted

just to update - within 8 days of stopping sertraline my bowels were back to normal. i was left with an uncomfortable full feeling in my stomach so i was sent for an ogd, all fine. they repeated the fit test which was negative after being off sertraline for a couple of weeks. so for me it was definitely the sertraline. came off cold turkey after 4weeks of 25mg and 4weeks of 50mg. some nausea and dizziness in the first few days but tolerable.

• Posted

that good to hear! my bowel habits have persisted although it has gotten better on most days. I also did a FIT test and a blood test around 2 months ago which came back normal so the doctor thinks its the sertraline. I think I need to reduce my dose or stop the sertraline too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.