Is this trigeminal neuralgia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 16. Ever since then I've been having this really painful pins and needles feeling in both sides of my jaw at the same time. When I have a episode it probably last for 10 minutes and in that time if I try to eat or drink the pain is excruciating. I usually get the pain 1 time a month but this time it's happened two times so far this month. For me it seems like the trigger is drinking alcohol. I do have a disc that's out of place on my right side. But that pain feels different. Im a 23 year old female.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Katie,

Both sides at once I've never heard of in 8 years dealing with TN & support sites. Pain like electric shock on 1 side is common indicator. So that's the good news. Suggest follow up with dentist familar with TN.

eddie13

• Posted

I guess the pain I have been having is pins and needles like. I've read that it's rare but you can have the pain in both sides. Does your pain get worse if you try to eat or drink?
    • Posted

At times eat / drink are triggers as can be hot / cold, sometimes falling asleep if you do not have correct medication for you. I'm no doctor but Where exactly is the pain?
    • Posted

The pain is below my ear in the jaw area and up to just below the outer corner of my eye. It seems like the pain radiates
    • Posted

Jaw radiating up to eye does sound like following facial nerves. Perhaps follow up with neurologist who will likely order a MRI. You are much younger than TN average but unfortunately it does happen. Mine started at 47.

eddie13

• Posted

i really think something got damaged when i got my wisdon teeth out when i was 16. my orthodontist did a xray and part of my mandible you could see there was trauma
  • Posted

Hi Katie

Have you been to see your Dr who can at least diagnose what you have?

You say you've been having this pain since you were sixteen. Has it been the same pain for 7yrs all the time or are you noticing an increase gradually, say weekly or maybe daily at times?

Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

the pains been the same. It just seem to be increasing in frequency as i get older. ive never had it happen daily.
    • Posted

I went to the doctor a year ago for jaw pain and he diagnosed me with a displaced disc and sinovitis. But this pain isnt really in my jaw
  • Posted

Hi Katie

From my experience - I'm a biologist, not a medic - it doesn't sound like TN.

Firstly, disc problems usually result in referred pain in the lower limbs not the jaw.

It would seem you have a nerve problem in the face, perhaps the jaw angle, that's triggered of by opening your mouth wide. I wouldn't have thought there was a link with drinking alcohol.

TN is excruciating and is intermittent, but yours seems something different and needs proper diagnosis. What are the opinions of your dentist and doctor, so far? Colin

• Posted

disc problems can result in pain in the face. I also have sinovitis which causes inflamation. I saw an article that said that it can be exasperated by alcohol. For me thats when it seems to happen most. Im going to my doctor next week and am going to talk to him.
  • Posted

You know TN can be caused by damaged nerves I've heard.

Personally I get it once a month too which I believe is triggered ny my monthly menstrual cycle plus migraines. No one really knows the cause it seems to me.

Have you had the MRI? It just rules out certain conditions but it can't show TN unless you have exploratory surgery is how I understand it.

Medications are what you need and see a neuro surgeon, pain clinic.

Hugs x

• Posted

I had a mri about a year ago to see what was going on in the right side of my jaw. I dont think the doctor was looking for a nerve problem. He diagnosed me with right anterior disc displacement with reduction and sinovitis. When i got my wisdon teeth and tonsils out they had a really hard time getting them out. I have a small mouth. I go and see the doctor thats treating my tmj next week and i am going to discuss it with him then.
  • Posted

Hello Katie. I have TN from time to time.  I am no doctor, however I can tell you that the pain is very severe.  Go and see your doctor and ask to see a neurologist as this is the type of problem they deal with.  The first time I had a really severe attack I found myself kneeling on my bed and burying my face in the pillows.  A family member called my doctor and they were able to help me.  So, don't suffer in silence.  Hope you manage to geet some help.x  Netz
    • Posted

thanks! Im going to the doctor next week. I have to get this sorted out. I dont want whatever is wrong to get worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.