Is this typical IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, for about 20 years I have suffered mild stomach aches and a bloated feeling on & off which my GP said was IBS.

for the last 2 months my symptoms have been a lot worse with typical symptoms being mainly constipation but also very loose/watery stools on one or two days a week, constant mild to moderate pain that can be anywhere in my abdomen but mostly low down, constant rumbling & bubbling noises coming from my abdomen. Every day it seems bad but seems to be worse on days I have a bowel movement which is about every other day.

Most days it feels as if I have a badly upset stomach or food poisoning.

So far I have tried Buscopan, Colefac and peppermint oil caps. but nothing seems to help, I am half way through a 12 week course of probiotic drink but not helping so far.

I have also been suffering a bit of streets/mild anxiety lately.

Thanks for listening, any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicholas

It does sound like IBS, I think it may be wise to go back to your GP and tell your GP your symptoms are no better, my GP is putting me through lots of tests, also when I spoke to a consultant at the hospital I asked about probiotics and he said no.

Everyone is different, tell your GP you are trying everything to help yourself and he needs to help you more

Junie

• Posted

Thanks for your help junieju, surprised your consultant said no to probiotics, I always thought they were recommended for IBS, did he give a reason or explain why.
    • Posted

Hi Nicholas

No he did not give a good reason, I had started to take them, and he said to stop it, he has put me through many tests and I am to go on the elimination diet soon, this has been going on for two years, he wants to rule everything out before he says it is IBS.

I know stress does not help at all, but it's not easy to not get stressed.

Please let me know how you get on

Junie

• Posted

Thats a good doc to want to rule other possibilities out before he says ibs, stick with him.
    • Posted

It is my consultant at the hospital, he is very good, my GP's do not listen at all . I have seen so many different ones, they just write a prescription and get you out of there as soon as they can. When I give an opinion they do not like it. I had to demand an appointment with my consultant. Glad I did

Junie

• Posted

It's not right at some point they could say you're a hostel or non compliant patient and tell you to go elsewhere, they know they have us over a barrel and we pay them they work for us things need to turn around their backwards, they preach preventive care and thats what were supposed to get but that's not what they practice. Keep going through your consultant and see if he will write something for you whenever you have to really something you want I'm interested to see if he will do that for you, that's if you get stuck and they won't listen to you
    • Posted

My consultant is very good, he listens and helps as much as he can, if my gps were like him I would be very happy, when I told my GP I had been on the Internet to learn from others, he was not happy saying it was not a good idea, I said that if he can not help me, I will try and help myself. He then wanted to give me a prescription , I got annoyed that he then looked up on the Internet what to give me. ???

I have learned so much on here.

Junie

• Posted

What a jerk that's how most of them are it's hard to find a good doctor anymore they are persuaded by the health care insurance in the pharmaceutical companies and of course our government and he gets the raw end of the deal we do and we also pay for it greatly
  • Posted

Hi Nicholas, I have exactly symptoms as you. I went to the GP said lets do blood test including C125 blood test t check sign of ovary cancer it cameback all normal but the symptoms are still there went back again to the GP she said it might be from the constipation so she prescribed Laxative and Omeprazole for my gastro( rumbling all the time) for 10days If the symptoms still there I will have ultrasound for my abdomen. So now after taking laxative and gastro resistant it seems a lot better although I'm still feelin tight on the very lower abdomen I think I have to push the GP for ultrasound I felt something in there not just constipation. I will book Appoinment with the GP again by next Thursday to give a time. GP said if you constipated your lower abdomen is also affected. I will advise you to go the GP to say symptoms is worst and you have correct treatment and further investigation. It's better to catch early than late if there's anything in there. Good luck and stay safe.
    • Posted

Thanks rayhan, not sure if laxatives would help me as on some days I do have very loose bowel movements but I do take the odd Senna tablet to help sometimes. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.