Is this typical of an anal fissure ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can someone please reassure me that the following description is a typical presentation of an anal fissure :

?intense and immobilising pain and spasm in rectum prior to a bowel movement

?pain so severe at this point impossible to know whats going on down there ...pooing one's pants ????

?painful bowel movement despite not being constipated

?some fresh blood at this point but not always

?some reduction in the pain and burning a couple of hours later

Does this sound like the anal fissure my GP is treating me for with rectogesic?

I've been referred for investigation and fear anal cancer

Hoping for some reassurance

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer

That immobilising pain you refer to is an internal sphincter spasm usually due to trauma to the area eg a fissure or internal haemorrhoids.    

Once you start to heal that will back off day by day 

It sounds like a fissure to me.  Try not to stress that it’s somerhing else but obv have it checked for piece of mind

I recently had a haemorrhoidectomy so I’m familiar with that pain u speak of.   It’s SO severe it’s natural to think there’s something else going on but a fissure will most certainly cause that level of pain

Rectogesic will help a lot. Just apply it every few hours at first.  Other than a headache it’s pretty great at drawing blood to the area which encourages healing 

Good luck my friend.  It’ll get better 

(Also lubricator the area b4 a bm. Perhaps with Vaseline or even anaesthetic ointment so the stool slides out without re-tearing the area and pls drink olive oil too abt 2 tbs .. )

Xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your response

I will try the olive oil

I have been using the Rectogesic for 10 days now ......any idea how.long before I feel any benefits?

The only improvement so far is less bleeding but I'm in so much pain at times I don't know what to do with myself 😕

• Posted

Are you sitting in warm water for the pain?? That will help with the internal healing and pain 

Are you in Australia?  

Rectogesic seems to be an Australian brand name mainly

• Posted

Hello again

I'm in UK and some the creams people have been recommending are not available here

I am sitting in sitz bath 3 times a day with Epsom salts and coconut oil

I am not constipated but have added psyllium husk to my otherwise high fibre vegan diet and drinking more water

Sitting on a hot water bottle at times brings some relief

• Posted

HI

Just reading posts I’m in the uk too based in Coventry 

I have had an anal fissure for 4 months finally feeling better

I used Rectogesic twice daily 

Epsom salt and coconut oil sits bath three times a day 

Proktis m cream and suppositories and finally forces of nature fissure control

I eat mainly veggies and tuna .. boring but helps and stopped the flaxseed as made my poop too bulky !

I have 2 Senna and 2 Movicol one am one pm Senna I take in morning so I poop at night take a Sitz bath , pain relief any the good old water bottle and sleep 

Are you still suffering ? 

Tasha 

• Posted

Another thing I had wanted to mention was that my fissure pain came only after a bowl movement and the pain would last up to 8 hours after.

So if your having any pain prior too bowl movements, I'm not sure what that could be.

• Posted

Thanks Melissa

It's been suggested by another respondee that this pain is caused by the internal rectal sphincter muscle going into spasm .

That makes sense to me and fortunately I now have an appointment with a colorectal consultant next week so will be able to check it out with them

• Posted

Jennifer hope you find relief soon anal fissure if you had hemorrhoids before at sometime ,fissures will happen.to me it felt like crush glass when I went to poop sometime there drops of blood sometime my stool was stain with it once I wipe the tollet paper was soak red.the iching was unveravle.if I stared scratching I was like a crazed monkey. Yes it sounds like they are from the wise I became an alchamist there is no cream I have not tried the last two that were helping were two otc.nickzone and this one made sure I had barrels of it force of (nature fissure control) for my hemerroids the last thing I did was scleratherapy . Today I'm at day 6 post surgery had a fissurectomy and hemmeroid

• Posted

Than k you for responding

Really hope your surgery has brought you relief

I did indeed have hemmoroids after abdominal surgery 17 yrs ago which left me with anal tags

I hadnt experienced any problems up until 2 weeks ago and cant believe how much my life has changed in such a short period of time ☹

Hope you recover quickly

• Posted

Ding ding ding. You described the 12 years of my life pre LIS. Told that thing Peace out 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.