Is this Vitamin B12 Deficiency?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It all started 9 months ago when suddenly I started having discomfort in my arms and chest and a tightness in my throat thats persisted til now. (Two months before that I found out I had acid reflux & a throat infection for the 1st time, got antacids medicines etc. and it went away in a few wks) I heard that can deplete your b12, as well as stress and also my diet was somewhat poor before that too. I was fine for a whole month then it happened.

After that, i started getting random symptoms every few weeks/months that generally lasted a few weeks then disappeared such as 

-teeth sensitivity

-numbness on either sides of my body or face

-tongue feels dry/uncomfortable(but not smooth)

-sometimes chest upwards heats up

-tinnitus (still have)

-left eye twitching (still have)

So to sum it up i have tinnitus, eye twitching, a slight dry feeling or something tongue i can't describe it but it's uncomfortable, chest and arm achey discomfort. Sometimes i have random palpitations especially when im laying/resting these symptoms feel worse or when i drink coffee, and sometimes I just feel weak and sick. I've had b12, vit d bloodtests and more and they all came back "normal". I forgot the # but will pick up paperwork and find out again soon. Is there any way these symptoms are related to b12 deficiency although my test came back normal? Or is it unrelated, does it seem like another cause?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks lots!

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My tests are back, and surprisingly for me I came positive with H Pylori bacteria >8.00 H Reference (<0.90) so I am starting triple antibiotics to treat. Other tests show I have small volume reflux into the distal oesaphagus from the stomach (which I'm unsure would cause any problem?)

My B12 is actually on the high end

614pmol/L    Reference (139-651)

Folate Serum

13.3 ug/L    Reference (>3.8)

TSH

2.95 mU/L    Reference (0.5-5.0)

Free T4

11 pmol/L    Reference (9.0-19.0)

And any other tests came back normal, however I dont know if H Pylori is cause of all the problems I'm having, because on the other hand I still have high levels of vit B12. 

• Posted

Well that's good news...

The symptoms of PA are the symptoms of the B12 deficiency that it causes. If the cause isn't dietary then it is an absorption problem so you need to find another way of replenishing B12 initially.

I cannot remember if you were supplementing B12 but the fact that you have "614pmol/L" swirling around in your bloodstream doesn't indicate how much is being absorbed at cell level

Most absorption problems aren't treatable but a few are - notably h pylori infection - which would mean that once that has been dealt with you would be able to absorb B12 from your diet so wouldn't need maintenance shots for life.

I wish you all the very best for a happy and healthy future

• Posted

I thought so about the absorption.. That makes a lot of sense, lets hope things take a turn for the better.. Thank you clivealive! I appreciate that you and others that are helping and educating others on their B12 based on your own experience. 

Wish you all the very best too and for continual great health smile

• Posted

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last updated but I just wanted to you know I still do have my symptoms/issues BUT I'm now on the right track after being persistent for so long. It will pay off.

I got rid of my H Pylori the first time I used triple therapy treatment (thankfully) with a "H Pylori" quite strict diet for about a month and I believe that could've helped a lot. I started feeling better in the next two+ month gradually, symptoms still remained but were much less intensified. Less exhaustion over just using my energy slightly. Although when I last tested B12, it was in the high ranges but that doesn't tell anything about the "active B12" in your body or how much is being absorbed. 

I see an integrative prac now as I was getting no results from doctors whatsoever telling me its physiological etc. but also ruled out most things. From there, with a hair analysis I recently came to find that I have malabsorption in my gut, not absorbing nutrients best as I could. Possibly from chronic digestive infections such as not only h pylori before but bacteria, yeast, parasites. (yes most of us have it but we don't know!) They could be causing all sorts of mysterious problems in your body that suddenly arise or are triggered years later. I eliminated one (hpylori) of the many. They steal all of your nutrients and minerals and release toxins in your body especially when you eat sugars and certain carbs. I am pretty far low in minerals and severely deficient in Vitamin D (note, when I last posted, my D levels were in good range, but suddenly dropped so low quickly over the months) and if that isn't enough to make you feel unwell, who knows what else? May be not absorbing B vitamins which I really need. And my thyroid is slight underactive from my gut causing body inflammation or stress too. 

With guidance of my integrative practitioner I am taking herbs to fight infections as well as help my digestion, absorption, taking minerals to raise levels, Vitamin D (way more amount than my doc told me to, I guess they don't know too much about it and try to be safe) some other herbs with iodine and selenium etc. to help my thyroid, and active B vitamins. I have already gotten rid of the dizziness that I had, my mood and clarity is better, much less mind fog. Hopefully feel much better soon. Takes some time. 

I guess I no longer am in the B12 topic! It was quite surprising to find out all of this. 

• Posted

To finally "nail" the B12 question

The new BCSH guidelines say: “Plasma tHcy and/or plasma MMA, depending on availability, may be considered as supplementary tests to determine biochemical cobamalin deficiency in the presence of clinical suspicion of deficiency but an indeterminate serum cobamalin level”.

In other words Methylmalonic acid (MMA) is a chemical used up in one of the cellular reactions mediated by B12. If there's not enough B12 in the cell then MMA levels will rise. If they're not high then it means your cellular levels of B12 are OK. High levels of plasma MMA (>0.75umol/L0 almost invariably indicate cobamalin deficiency.

My dietitian referred me to have a Faecal Elastase test which came back indicationg that I have a "moderate exocrene pancreatic insufficiency" caused by the gastric surgery for the removal of two thirds of my stomach 59 years ago at the age of 17. - Better late than never I guess! This of course also eventually led to the P.A. I've had for the last 46 years.

Anyway the upshot is that I have been prescribed enzymes which I have to take with every meal or snack in the hope that they will improve my digestion which has never been good since the surgery.

Perhaps you could mention this to your " integrative practitioner"

Remember I'm not a medically trained person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.