Is this what is called Atrial Flutter ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

does anyone who has AF get a faster heartbeat when in bed. My heart is in sinus rhythmn but beats over 100bpm when I lie down to sleep. I do have AF and am on Flecainide to keep it from being irregular.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When I took Flecainide I developed a regular but very fast heartbeat.  Like 120 fast. The doc called it atrial flutter and did a right sided ablation which slowed the heart rate but the AF came back. Sort of like doctor job insurance: come in with AF, get meds to cause flutter, do surgery to fix the flutter, still have the AF, go home. 
  • Posted

You might ask your cardiologist about wearing a 24 or 48 hour halter monitor to see what's actually going on.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Sarah..  This is called a positional trigger.  Lying down is for many a positional trigger for afb.  It is for me. Flecainide is for rhythm control; calcium channel blockers and beta blockers are for "rate" control  (so you heart doesn't go way too fast. I was on flecainide and verapamil for years; the doc pulled me off flecainide because many docs don't think it is safe. I go in an out of afib...

• Posted

CD, You are assuming that Sarah is going into afib when her heart rate elevates. There can be other reasons for this. She needs an ekg to confirm. Don't know her history, but a second opinion on flecainide may be warranted.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim.. Yup.. I'm not an MD.. But when my lying down triggers my afib, my heart rate goes up and would go higher if not for the verapamil.   Just saying.

• Posted

Hi, I have the same problem sometimes at night which wakes me up but also other times when I am just sitting in my recliner chair. I am not on Flecainide but on Bisoprolol and Ramipril but my heart rate will suddenly go from 60bpm to 140bpm with no change in activity. My electrophysioligist has seen some of my Kardia recordings of this and says I was still in sinus rhythm and would not recommend a further ablation.
  • Posted

Morning Sarah af is the worst have they mentioned amiodrone to you.its not nice but supposed th help with af also see about cardio version .Don't do what I did and accept it when they told me I have af I more or less did not know what it was.its the worst get all the meds all the help you can.silly question do you get the tingling lips when it comes on it drives me mad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.