Is this what's causing my bleeding?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have been experiencing rectal bleeding for about 5 months now. I had an FOBT done in September, which came out positive, and so got a colonoscopy done which found nothing. Since then, I have been dealing with anemia and recurring bleeding, as I took another FOBT which came out positive again. Because of this, I got a second colonoscopy done by a new GI, who said I had small hemorrhoids. I'm really happy that the test didn't catch anything terrible, but I'm a bit puzzled as to how such small hemorrhoids could cause me to bleed so much that I become anemic. Also, how could these have been missed in the first scope? I was bleeding back then too. I'm just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this. I'm going to have a follow up on the 28th, but I really want to know what you guys think. Is it possible that the hemorrhoids bleed so much periodically that it can cause low iron? My vitamin K is also slightly low, but I don't think that's contributing to the bleeding since it's only barely at borderline.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You should ask for a CT scan. Hemorrhoids shouldnt cause anaemia im sure. Do you have other symptoms? Irregular bowel movements, abdominal pain etc.....
    • Posted

Well I have been going more often...and I have a lot of gas. I did ask for a CT scan but my GI said that if the colonoscopy is clear we won't need to do one. I do have a follow up with her in 2 weeks, should I ask her about getting one done?

• Posted

I dont see the harm in asking. A colonoscopy is the most efficient test i guess. Have you treated your hemmorhoids? If you treat them and they go away but you are still anaemic then that may give the dr some sort of indication. Im sure you are ok but i know how you feel. Being in the shadow of cancer sucks.
    • Posted

I have been treating my hemorrhoids with a stool softener but all it's done is caused diarrhea. Just wondering, what could a CT scan show that a colonoscopy couldn't?

• Posted

Did they find anything after your colonoscopy?

Been following your discussion but you never came back to let us know what happened after the colonoscopy. Please reply, I'm really worried about my symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.