Is this withdrawals

Posted , 4 users are following.

Am I getting withdrawal symptoms after stopping a 10mg cold turkey after 7 weeks I was told by my doctor to stop it because I was having trouble sleeping but now I regret it because I got pains in my head heart pounding out of chest at night random jerks..should I start back on it again? It'a been three days since I stopped

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

U are def having withdrawals, the fact that u been on it for 7 weeks it has some what settled in your system, now all of a sudden your body is not getting any so it will throw u right off. U could always try to change the time u take your pill to see if that helps u sleep
    • Posted

Yes u can, I can also try taking it at a different time like at night while ure sleeping so that most side effect could happen while sleeping hopefully. I chose to take it in the morning and fights threw the side effects. It's getting a bit better now and tomorrow will be 6 weeks, doctor increased me to 30mg 6 weeks ago as 20 seemed to still give me lots of anxiety .

• Posted

I would have stayed with it personally. It seems such a shame.to have got so far into it to just give up. What were you taking it for - anxiety or depression and have you noticed an improvement with this ?

I too have had awful problems with insomnia but stuck with it. It's been 4mths now and still not great but better than it was . Good luck

• Posted

Very bad chronic anxiety which was causing depression..it was definitely helping me feel calmer but I felt my emotions were dulled either way I wanted a break from the anxiety so I didn't mind once I felt calm..not sure what to do could I just go back on the 10mg I can't speak to my doc until next week..im meant to start setraline tomorrow seriously don't know what to do sad

• Posted

I was given this option and even got the sertraline tabs but decided to stick with citalopram in the end. It's personal choice but I just couldn't face going through those terrible side effects again.

It's all really confusing not knowing what to do for the best. My gp added a tiny dose of amitriptyline to take alongside the citalopram and that helps a bit.

I thought myself that as the citalopram had really helped me, why swap to something that might not be as good - who knows. I feel I did the right thing even though sleep isn't brilliant . Let us know what you decide

• Posted

Yeah that's how I feel and the first thing I read on the setraline tabs is side effects insomnia so is this just a common thing in anti depressants? I could go on the setraline and still have the sleep problems so I really don't know what to do for best. Right now I have pains in my head..could I just restart the citalopram?

• Posted

It's up to you Megan, just make a decision and stick with it. A chap called Marky b has contributed in another citalopram chat on this forum (you'd have to look for it). He stopped cit and felt awful so after 3 days I think he restarted it, not sure how he's getting on.

• Posted

You are on half standard dose of 20mg. Therefore your GP could expect you stop taking the medication cold Turkey.

I take the drug for not only Depression, also for sleeping. Normaly I take my dose half an hour before bedtime and I sleep quite well, also I Amytryptalene for nerve damage, another Antidepressent at the same time so sometimes I wonder what is working, when. Sometimes although not often I get jerking legs and headaches, it does not effect my heart.

Seven weeks the medication should work for Depression, and it is not a very long time.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.