Is this working?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. 

I've been taking citalopram for 4 weeks tomorrow. Only 5 days at 20mg upped from 10mg.

I have had bad days as in feeling very low and better days where I feel better as the day goes on. 

Is this a good sign that the meds are working? Or kicking in? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I got prescribed them for anxiety. Which I only had for about 7 days prior to being put on them.
  • Posted

That sounds totally normal and would suggest the meds are working.  Evenings will always be better because your natural serotonin levels are at their highest and lower in the mornings. Enjoy the good times and work through the bad times.  Above all, be kind to yourself.  Mark
    • Posted

Thank you mark. Will this eventually even out? 
  • Posted

Absolutely but give it time. 4 weeks minimum so hold on tight. We are all there with you though
  • Posted

Hello rox

I read on a website, can't remember which one

That one you get side effects that's a sign the medication is getting in to your system

I was on 10mg for a week

And just on my second week on 20 mg

My anxiety has getting worse and this a common side effect ( I was on citalopram before and this happened then)

I Aslo had a upset stomach ...well the runs to more precise at the weekend

But I don't actually feel the medication is helping my anxiety yet

I phoned my GP this morning and she said carry on with 20 mg and phone her back in 2 weeks .

Just to add a had a somewhat "spaced out " feeling for a brief while ...unfortunately it didn't last! and I think that's when the medication really started to kick in .

I think it's around a month or more before it really starts to work

Sorry for waffling a bit

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Thank you Gary.  How long have you been on yours now? 

Have they made you feel very low? 

• Posted

Hello

Been on them

3 weeks today

I feel super anxious rather than low

Tbh , but I did feel low on them before when I was put on citalopram the first time about 6 years back

Feel like bursting in to tears when I walking around the office delivering the post

For no reason.

I talked to be gp yesterday and asked about increasing the dose up from 20 to 30mg she said carry on as I am and phone her in 2 weeks

I've also contacted local a organisation called I-COPE about counselling CBT etc.

Best wishes Gary

• Posted

That was FELT like bursting in to tears

I was referring to my past experience with the medication 6 years back.

• Posted

Sorry my typing is hopeless
    • Posted

That's ok. So 4 weeks and having better days in between is a good sign then do you think? 

I've only been on the 20mg 6 days so you think I'll have to wait for them to level out again? 

Sorry to keep on. 

• Posted

Yes certainly having better days in between has to be good 😉

I really wouldn't like to say about

The way you might feel as you are on the higher 20 mg dose rox

But I would imagine you would experience a difference of some sort

Just to add when I first went on citalopram

6 years back it was part of my treatment for coming off drinking heavily for a number of years

So I was in a bit of a bad state tbh

I really can't rememberhow citalopram made measy feel

I remember feeling weired for short periods (kind of spaced out)

But it did take the edge of my anxiety

Hope it goes well

Stay in touch with your GP

Or even asked the pharmacist

Boots are usually really good

I'm sure he or she has asked you to do that , I'm phoning my gp back in two weeks.

Good luck

Sorry I'm a bit tired .

• Posted

Fantastic news Rox!! Keep at it. The better days will increase slowly but don't be surprised if you have the odd bad day in between.  This is not you going backwards, just a blip. The clouds are starting to disappear and the sun is starting to shine for you. But if it does cloud over again, remember that the sun is always shinning behind them. Heres to a good recovery.x

• Posted

Hi Rox,

Spooky but I am in the exactly same position as you! Same dose increase and same amount of days in. After the first 3 days on 20mg I felt real improvement and went out more and felt less depressed and anxious. Last few days I have felt anxious, low, irritable and it's a blow because you think you are coming out of it. From talking to doctor and reading forums it can make you feel rough for the first few weeks of the increased dose and that the increase may not kick in properly for 6 weeks. I think we just need to ride it out. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

With you both on your journey. It does improve. Promise !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.