Is UROLIFT right for me?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Age 72, Diag prost cancer 2012, Glesn - 6.  Planned to have removed, but infection from biopsy on again off again, got frustrated, gained weight, did lot research and now watchful waiting since then. MRI in 2016 was encouraging, per urologist. 

PSA is up slightly but urologist says could be from BPH.  Currently taking Finisterade 5 mg for last couple months.  Continued BPH problems. i can sleep through night but can't last much more that 1 hr during day.  Urgency and leakage bothersome.  

What about Urolift?  Anyone had it done?  was it uncomfortable?  Are their any issues given that there is still some cancer in there?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I'm 68.  I have had 2 BPH procedures - TUNA (needle ablation) about 10 years ago and Urolift last month.  I used tamsulosin for about 8 months prior to the Urolift.

First, there is great help on this site.

Second, you have to find a doctor that you can trust.

Why did I choose Urolft?  Doctor recommendation AND listening to others who have had that and other procedures.  That's the value of this site.

I had a broken ankle when I was 9.  Pretty much every 9 year old who broke their ankle healed the same way.  With BPH, there is much more variation.  We're older and can have other things going on.

For me, it was the increase in night time trips that led me to believe that my prostate had grown 10 years after the TUNA.  The doctor tried the tamsulosin.  Helped a little at first, but not effective after a few months.  Note: others have good results from it, but not me.  And I hated the RE.

The doctor recommended the Urolift.  I did not ask him about PAE.  There are others on this site who can talk to you about this.

While I did post a little about my procedure, the short version - first: cystoscopy to determine if my prostate size would work with the Urolift.  Got an infection from it that was awful.  Antibiotics saved my sanity.  Urolift procedure two weeks later worked as advertised.  Minimal bleeding.  Physical activity limited for about a week (other than brief walks).

5 weeks after the procedure, I get up once a night most nights.  A few nights 2-3. Did the glass of beer orwine do it?  Beats me.  There is still some residual soreness in the urethra that is slowly improving.  Related to that, I think, is that when I have to go, I have to go.  I took a spinning class for 30 min (usual time 60 min).   I had to get to the urinal and just made it.  That is slowly getting better.  I took a road trip this week.  Because I was concerned about not finding a rest stop on the 7 hour driving days, I used Depend pads (not the full underwear).  While I didn't need it (I made it to the bathroom ok), I don't pack a lot of extra clothes. There were a couple of the stops that it was close.  Maybe, it was a case of having belt and suspenders.  

While I don't have a cancer diagnosis, based on my father's experience, there might be one in my future.  I'm sure that there are guys on this site who can give you more guidance.

Good luck

• Posted

Very interesting. Next road trip bring a bottle.

Neal

• Posted

Do you recommend a particular brand of liquor?  I guess I would have to have my wife drive.
  • Posted

It will open you up and help you pee better That may help the relieve some of the prostate pressure.  I had mine 2 years ago and I have never felt them  I have 4 IMPLANTSl   It has no side effects and I don't think it will mess with the cancer cells.  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Jim. I had FLA 4 month ago and had great success with this for my severe BPH. 

I suggestion to you is to look at this as it is a treatment for cancer with less than 7 Gleason score. You could at the same time with the same treatment fix the BPH issues. Focal Laser Ablation is only done with real time MRI and is done only by interventional radiologist. The best is in Houston for prostate in my view i and is Karamanian. If you want more info I will PM you. Where are you located?

• Posted

Jim. I had FLA 4 month ago and had great success with this for my severe BPH. 

I suggestion to you is to look at this as it is a treatment for cancer with less than 7 Gleason score. You could at the same time with the same treatment fix the BPH issues. Focal Laser Ablation is only done with real time MRI and is done only by interventional radiologist. The best is in Houston for prostate in my view i and is Karamanian. If you want more info I will PM you. Where are you located?

• Posted

You were right not going for a prostatectomy. I have had prostate cancer since 15 years

only supplements and dieting. And I started with Gleason 7 at the age of 62.

Now, about peeing. It is wrong to admit that urological difficulties are caused only by BPH.

Very often this is a distended bladder. In my case I had Green Laser completed with TURP

and ended up self- cathing, as the problem is my bladder.

What I didn't know is that the bladder should be examined before any such

intervention. For instance by an urodynamic test. It is also a good idea to self cath

BEFORE the operation. There is a good forum about self-cathing here. Be well! Zdzislaw

• Posted

Hello Zdzislaw.  I still think of you and other men that went through 2 surgery and still end up doing CIC.  Did your doctor talk you into the surgerys.  Why do them when you still had to do CIC.  To me thats wrong.  The way a urologist think is if they can't find the problem they assume it the prostate and start cutting away.  Men need to put there foot down and look into it first to make sure what it is.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Kenneth, exactly my opinion. The urologists should be formally obliged to

do some tests (urodynamics for instance) BEFORE messing up with our

prostates. The reality is, though, that as soon as they see a candidate for any kind of intervention (well paid), they become terribly enthusiastic and 

keen to do it!!! Zdzislaw

• Posted

A little more info:

Urologist did not say anything about Urolift.  A pamphlet was lying on the counter and i picked it up. I haven't discussed this wih him.   In regards to bph, he had me start taking Finasterade. (Proscar). Yes, I know about the side affects of low libido. (nothing happening in that department anyhow).  

A key component of my first post was that I SLEEP 7-8 hrs at night and DON'T GET UP TO PEE.  First thing in the morning is the slowest.  As the day goes on, i often pee every hr. If I am driving somewhere, sometimes the urgency causes me to leak. Nothing more embarassing than a wet spot going into a meeting, etc.

I also asked about it being "uncomfortable".  I understand it is done in Dr. Office with local anesthesia.  Can someone tell me specifically, where do they put the needle?  When I go to the dentist, even for a crown, I do not let them stick me with novacain. Can't stand a needle in my mouth.  

When I had vasectomy 30 yrs ago, I was too nervous to do in Dr office.  Done in hospital where they gave me a drip and put me in la la land land. It wasn't general anethesia.  I was awake and didn't care where they were sticking me, nor remember anything.  I've had severall minor surgeries and colonoscopies using the la la land process and much prefer it to any other option.

J12080 said something about Urolift being a treatment for the cancer.  Can I get someone to expand on that?  

• Posted

Started taking Finasterade about 5 weeks ago,  I undierstand it will take 6 months to do anything.

• Posted

Hi Jim, are you taking any sleeping aid ? To be able to sleep through the night with your daytime symptoms is unusual. Hank

• Posted

Jim first of all see if he can give you something that will not cause retro.  Also when I had my urolife I had it done with general anesthesia and it was done in the surgery center.  I think it is better that way.  Your out and you will not feel a thing  Urolift is not a treatment for cancer it will just open you up  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Jim,

J12080 can do a better job than I can, but I'll have a go at it.

The FLA is done after a 3 T MRI which precisely locates any cancer, and also locates where your prostate is causing BPH. The Interventional Radiologist (IR) then threads a filament through your rectum into your prostate where he or she precisely ablates your cancer, and the area causing BPH with a laser.

In the States it is generally approved for cancer treatment, but not BPH, so those of us who just have BPH have to pay for it. So it seems like it is made for your situation. You can find out much more by searching for it on the web and contacting the IRs who do it, including the one mentioned in the earlier comment.

Neal

• Posted

Jim, It was not me that spoke on Urolift being a cancer treatment. I did research UROLIFT in the beginning and had a meeting with one of the UROs who was in on the development. But as a results of my research, I was not a fan and it was not a solution for me. 

Frist it is installed through the urethra. Second, the clips holding the brace can be over grown with tissue as the prostate still grows while the device is in you. After such growth, there is an issue with adjustments or removal Third, it needs adjusting over the course of it installation in several cases. Fouth, it does not work often in the cases of large median lobe. The Doctor I saw said my median lobe was a big concern to him regarding results. I thought that was a nice way of saying it will not work for me. I view the use of the Urolift to be a temproary help fix and I would have been fine with that except, I was scared of the removal of the unit implants when ready to take it out for another or better solution that comes in the future.

So I do not think I said anything about PCa but if there is something I said that could be misinturprted, I apologize. 

I was just to considered and scared of the Urolift procedure to use it or be a fan. What kills me is how easy the Urology groups can get both FDA and Insurance acceptance as compared to the IR's solutions out there.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.