Is venlafaxine right for me?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone. Would be really good if I could get some feedback from some of you! I started with very bad anxiety ( which my CPN thinks is triggered by lack of sleep). I was started on venlafaxine just over 6 weeks ago. 75mg extended release for the first 2 weeks and then upped to 150mg which I've been on for a month. I am still experiencing extreme anxiety with palpitations, sweating, muscle spasms and feeling I'm shaking. Panic attacks also coming from nowhere too. I've also been given quetiapine 25mg to take twice a day if required. I'm feeling horrendous and struggling to make it through each day. Should I still feel like this after 4wks at 150mg or is this medication not right for me?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi honey, I would say give it a bit longer, it takes time. Longer than 4 wks for sure. Give it another couple of weeks. If you still feel the same, go back to the doctor. It's possible they may not be right or agree with you. Everyone's different. Hang in there! Donna xxx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Donna. I see a psychiatrist next week and really don't want them upping the meds again til I see if this anxiety eases. Good to hear from others who have been on the drug. Hope you are well yourself.

• Posted

Hi! I understand completely. After being on venlafaxine for 2 1/2 months I know what u r going thru. I was at 187mg IR. And doing nothing at that point. Worse than better. Started seeing a pdoc..finally diagnosed and now dropped to 150mg ER and started quetiepine 25. To 50mg... At night. Feeling better every day.. You have to find the right dose and combination... Just keep pushing forward..at times I would post to get feedback and receive none or negative.. This is a difficult disease to treat..no easy answers..Stay positive.. Talk.. Pray..meditate..you will find the,right meds and feel good again.. Follow your doctor'advice. Eventually it'll all come together!😊

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Leahe. Yes your right this is a difficult disease to treat. I don't always know what to do for the best with the medication as have had some nasty reactions to Ad's in the past. Really glad to hear from you and Donna as it can be a very lonely path to navigate! Hope that you will soon feel better.

• Posted

We walk this road with many others... Stay positive..keep us,posted!😊

• Posted

Hello, it took 10 weeks for me to notice improvements for depression, and another 5 weeks, to what i call a reasonable recovered state. Its 17 weeks now, and im still improving. It took so long, as i started in a bad state. A friend of mine, who has mainly very high anxiety, started ven just after me and hers took about 10 weeks, until improvements started. For both, when the improvements started, they snowballed quite quickly. I think generally, anxiety takes longer to get under control than depression. With depression, anxiety is last symptom to improve or go. As a rule of thumb, you need to give an anti depressant at least 12 weeks, to make sure you can rule it out. Gps and doctors talk about 6 to 8 weeks, but i think thats too optimistic, judging by myself, and most people on here. By 5 weeks, you shouldnt feel any worse than when you started, and you might see very small initial improvements, that come and go, that you may not even notice. When you increase a dose, you sort of start over again. At this point, you should give 150mg another couple of weeks, to notice any very slight improvements. If none, possibly you might need a dose increase. Its difficult to say at which point you should consider an increase. In my mind, i wanted to give the anti depressant every chance to work, by staying on it long enough, so i could safely rule it out. I gave my previous anti depressant 12 weeks to make sure, by which time it was obviously not working. If i hadnt given ven at least 12 weeks, i would have missed out on ven, giving me the excellent recovery ive had. Dont expect much from ven at the moment, just look out for any small improvements, that come and go. Also look back over the week you have just had, and try to compare it to how you felt when you started. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Nigel. Thank you so much for your reply. That helps alot. Will discuss with my psychiatrist this week. Really glad to get everyone's messages. So glad that Ven has worked for you.

• Posted

I take 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine and they work great for me. I was diagnosed with treatment resistant depression three years ago and this combo has been like a cure for me. It does take a few weeks for these meds to fully kick in for the optimal effect. Hope you will feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Phyllis. Thank you for your reply. Will be patient and wait to see what happens. So glad you have found a combination of meds that have worked for you. Take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Hi honey, I'm good thanks. I suffer from generalised anxiety. Have done for 20 odd years. I've always been a confident person, never nervous about about anything eg job interviews, driving test. I remember the day of my test and dad saying:are you nervous? And I'm like, nope! And I wasn't. I was calm. In retrospect, I suppose that's a bit weird. When I had my first panic attack, I didn't have a clue what was happening. Its like you can literally feel the panic rising. My nerves were shot! Constantly shaky and nervous. Couldn't talk to people and eventually didn't leave the house. I know how hard it is to cope with, it can take over your whole life. Give your tablets a bit longer. Message me anytime. Privately if you'd prefer. Donna xxx

• Posted

Hi Donna. Anxiety really is an awful thing when it gets out of hand. Luckily I feel a bit more like me tday and closer to my daughter. Really appreciate your reply. You've had a difficult time. I hope you continue to be well Donna. And thank you for takung the time to share your experience its much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.