Is what I have kidney stones? So confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

please can anyone help me, I have had four attacks of pain since June and it starts with twinges in my left back (about where my left kidney is), within a hour I am in excruciating pain, just talking or breathing can cause a searing pain and I know for the next three/four days I can do absolutely nothing, it completely stops me in my tracks. I have previously had a couple of attacks in previous years and at the time I thought it was a nipped nerve in my back and so ignored it (even though I would be laid up with the pain for several days). I now think it is something wrong with my kidney. I am not aware I have passed any stones or even have any stones.  I do have leukocytes and blood in my urine (but I also have a condition called ‘bladder pain syndrome’ which can cause me to get leukocytes and blood). In the morning my urine is smelly at the moment. I went to A&E on Monday as I felt so desperate with the pain -  they did bloods and urine sample, confirmed I had blood and leukocytes in urine, asked me 101 questions, ruled out pancreas and gall bladder problems (as this was my main concern).  Didn’t really say much else but told me to go to my doctor and tell my doctor about my pain and maybe refer me for a scan. Kept asking me about UTI infections and bowel movements. My question is that my pain is there in my back, where my left kidney is, to move causes a sharp pain, but I can sit and do nothing and the pain subsides but to try and do normal things I can’t, this has such an impact on my life. Does anyone else have this pain that lasts days and days, a sharp pain that is dibilitating. Could it be anything else?  I hope someone can help

please reply

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This very likely could be a kidney stone issue. At the emergency room here, they didn't see blood in my urine and were about to send me home with the diagnosis of burst ovarian cyst even though I swore up and down it was a kidney stone. I was very stoic, so I think they expected me to be screaming in agony (it hurt like hell, but not as bad as childbirth) and decided it couldn't be one without my screams or blood in urine. I insisted on a CT scan and there it was. Earlier that day, I sat up and felt a sharp pain in my kidney and it felt like it was moving. Everytime I walked or moved around, there was that sharp pain. It wasn't until midnight that I woke hubby up to take me to ER. The morphine they were giving me didn't even touch the pain. Wasn't until they gave me dilaudid that I felt any relief. You could very well have been passing small stones for years without knowing it. And you won't see them easily. After treatments, they give me a filter/sieve to collect the stones I pass. Passing stones without pain medicine is excruciating and could very well stop you in your tracks for days. You need an x-ray/CT scan to confirm diagnosis, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is what you are dealing with.

• Posted

Thank you LunaSea, it is good to be able to discuss this and hopefully get a better idea of what is going on.  I just find it strange cos if I do nothing and sit and rest I can be pain free but the moment I try and move or go to do something I get the spasm pain in my left kidney area. I have had it now since Thursday pm, first three days could do nothing as intense pain but now I can at least sit or lie with minimum pain until I move. So frustrating. 

• Posted

Hi Pippa

Until you get a diagnosis, for now, I would stop drinking all soda.  Drink a lot of water, cranberry juice mixed with lemon juice.  I suggest you get a CT Scan of your abdomen to see if you have kidney stones and where they

are located.  They may be moving from the kidney into the urter.  You will need to see a Urologist who deals with 

the kidneys and can better determine what's going on.  As the Urologist to give you something for Pain 

Hope you can get this taken care of soon.  Best Wishes to you.   ~ Faith

• Posted

Thank you for replying and I have made an appointment to see my urologist in early February. My doctor is arranging for me to have an ultrasound scan and she has put me on co- amoxiclav for 7 days as I have bacteria in my urine and blood and leukocytes. I said I didn’t feel like I had a bladder infection UTI as have had them in the past but she thought the infection could be higher up in my urinary tract so I am currently on antibiotics. Kidney pain went after a week and I did end up going to A& E with the pain on Monday though nothing showed up in my bloods. 

• Posted

Get yourself to a GP and ask them to refer you to a urologist. This sounds like kidney stones to me, I have recently had my stones removed keyhole surgery. If if is kidney stones you may get recurrent UTI (urinary tract infection). Best of luck with all this.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.