Is withdrawal from sertraline less if you haven't been on it long?

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi guys, I have been on sertraline for approx 6 months however due to negative side affects I have gone cold turkey.. I have read horror stories about withdrawing but for me it's been 5 days and so far so good. What are other people's experiences? 

Thanks 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on it for long and short periods of time and I would never risk going cold turkey. In my opinion, it is a serious drug because it changes the brain. If you are physician guided in your withdraw method, then it might not hurt you, but I would be too afraid to do it only guided by me.

Wish you the best!

Dawn

• Posted

Hi,

As Dawn says, cold turkey is a very radical step. I did take the same approach with my previous meds because after 2 months of being patient, I was feeling no benefit and the side effects were intolerable! My motivation in going cold turkey was just to get the drug out of my system asap so I could start on something new and become hopeful again about getting my life back. You will be very lucky not to experience any unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, but I hope you may be one of the lucky ones. No matter what, just remember that whatever you experience is only temporary. I have just read another discussion thread about someone withdrawing too quickly after only a few months on Sert and having to go back to their GP and take it much slower.

I hope that you can find the right medication in time. Keep positive & don't give up hope!

Good luck & best wishes,

Digsby

x

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, I'm keeping myself busy with the good old iPad! My partner is very supportive, and so far after a nearly a week I feel good if not better than ever! Fingers crossed it stays this way, I have started CBT also so no more meds for me. Blasted anxiety!

X

• Posted

Great! I've been attending group mindfulness sessions & I'm due to start 1-2-1 CBT tomorrow. I have benefitted from therapy in the past and an outside perspective always helps when trying to find one's way out of the labyrinth of one's own problems & emotional fog.

Take care. x

• Posted

What a wonderful description of what we suffer and muddle through Digsby!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.