Is your LDL under 70?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just had a blood panel, and a blurb on the guidelines suggests looking for an LDL total reading less than 70 for diabetics! That seems very low to me, even for diabetics. For the general population they want to see less than 100.

So, three questions:

1. Is your LDL under 70?
  2. Are you taking a statin?
  3. What's your level of diabetes: (A) none, (B) pre-diabetes and no meds other than metforminc, (c) diabetes with meds other than metformin (whether or not also on metformin).

Plus anything else about LDL that you'd care to add!

For me, (1) My LDL is not under 70, (2) I am not (yet) taking a statin, (3) level B - pre-diabetes plus some metformin.

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What is LDL?

Oh how I wish they would use the same scale of Blood Sugar Levels for everyone.

Mine is always quite high in double figures.

It is supposed to be between 4 and 7.

I can never remember how to convert that to the figure of 70 you are talking about.

I am on metformin. Type 2 Diabetes.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi @sarah87162, "LDL" is low-density lipoprotein, it's the "bad" kind of cholestorol. Problems with lipids, including cholestorol, can be much worse for diabetics, that's how it fits in here. It's a separate thing from blood sugar, and I think everyone uses the same scales. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.