Isotretinoin/ Accutane support

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Another isotretinoin chat. Well it's a big deal and if you're anything like me you must have spent hours upon hours on Google trying to find out as much as possible about it and what to expect.

I've seen some people really support each other through the good and the bad times in their 6 months journeys on accutane in old forums online so I'm hoping someone out there has started more or less now like me and wants to share worries and successes.

I am just finishing my first week on 20mg. I'm one of the lucky ones; I only have mild acne on my face but it's a persistent fckr! I also have HS (hidradrenitis suppurativa- which manifests itself every year or so in a lovely huge abscess that has to be incised and drained) so the idea was to kill both these ugly birds with the nuclear option.

I am sure wars have been started on less preparation than mine about this treatment. Have all my vitamin E and B, non comedogenic but hydrating moisturisers and mild washes and lip balms and even a special nivea lip balm shaved down just to fit inside my nostrils as I can't be getting nose bleeds! My own nose balm! All a bit much right? I know. I'm just freaking out a little given the gazillion side effects and the fact that my few spots here or there don't justify just a drastic measure. But I have genuinely tried everything else including antibiotics and treclin more recently. And as I said, this should get rid of the HS too.

So, first week in and so far, so good. No symptoms yet. No breakouts either.

Currently using

-Vitamin E and B12

-Simple Face Wash

-Simple hydrating non comedogenic moisturiser

-Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner

On standby for the dryness to come

-Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream

-Neutrogena hand cream

-Pure argan oil for the scalp

-Eucerin (Aquaphor) Skin Balm

-Aforementioned special nivea nose balm smile

I'll end it here tonight. Please do write and let's share experiences. If it does get rough we can support each other.

Hugs,

B

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Isotretinoin is the worst ever medication. 

It has a hell lot of side effects. Acne is caused mainly due to imbalance of bacteria in your gut and when OTC medications are taken it clears up at first and then makes even more worst.

When I was going through acne, it was my worst ever phase of life. 

But then i learn about my body and gradually , touch wood im all clear from past 4 years.

When nothing worked for me even spending $$$ at derma, then I opted to take a natural path. 

And finally i found something which helped me and literally saved me. 

At that time it costed me few bucks but i will share here 

http://docdro.id/0WDlssa

let me know if you need any help !

• Posted

Advice for roaccutane.

First of all I don't think you're being extreme at all. This is my third time on roaccutane. From day one you need to prepare for the side effects. It may seem weird so start using all this moisturisor now when we're used to having oily skin. My first treatment of roaccutane was successful at 15 of 30mg of Accutane for very severe acne. The side effects were bareable and it cleared all the acne from my face, chest and back until I was 21. At 21 it came back with a vengance but only my face. I went to a different doctor and was prescribed 20mg-for severe acne. I was given a low dose because I had a history of postnatal depression during my time of clear skin. I was on this for 9 months and got all the side effects along with depression. It cleared my skin but not like before. For minor acne, it would work a dream in a lot shorter time. Fast forward on, my depression was treated and I met a new doctor. I was prescribed 30 mg of roaccutane 7 weeks ago. My skin flared a bit in the first few weeks - this is normal for roaccutane. Now there is barely a bump on my skin. After 7 weeks! You can still see redness and scars but these disappear after taking it. Roaccutane makes your skin red. I have tried everything for my acne. I first got it at ten years old. I spent my life with it and I know this is the only treatment that works. The side effects are so worth it. Underneath I will post my advice on coping with the roaccutane and the dos and donts. My main advice, if you don't see a major improvement in two months, ask your doctor to higher your dose

• Posted

For moisturiser use la roche posay cica balm. It's cheap, it's brilliant and there's no harsh chemicals. Apply this to your whole face, including undereyes and eyelids. Massage any visible wrinkles. Moisturise your body after every shower (I use cocoa butter) but moisturise your hands as much as needed. Use eye drops to moisturise your eyes when you need it. Put Vaseline on a cotton bud and put it on and up your nose. Carmex is the best lip balm for lips. It's amazing. Drink plenty of water for the dryness of mouth and try to avoid or cut down on coffee. Suck on a sugar free mint for a dry mouth also. For foundation, use Vichy dermablend. It does not clog your skin, it is recommended for acne prone skin is the coverage is amazing. It lasts all day and I can't recommend it enough. As for your mood , tune into it like never before. This is a dangerous medication to take as regards to depression. You may never get it but be careful. I did not get it the first time round but the second time it triggered it again for me. This time, so far so good because I'm going out walking and eating well. For extremely dry lips, use Vaseline, hot water and use gentle rubbing actions with your tooth brush. Later on you might start to experience joint pain. This is completely bearable and can be eased by baths and not over exercurting yourself. Avoid- waxing, hair removal creams and harsh creams masks! Use threading instead. You will literally take a layer of skin off your face with waxing that will bleed and scab for weeks! Threading is fine as I've tried all and it's all that's successful. Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.