Issue with Urethra

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I am a female and I am 24 years old. This might be a little long so I apologize in advance. Around August 2017, I had my first UTI ever and I had no idea what is was until I talked to my roommate. I was told that the normally go away on their own and take to AZO until it does, well it didn’t go away on its own. So I woke up one morning before work and I could barely stand because I was in so much pain due to my kidneys. I went to the ER and they gave me Antibiotics in an IV and then a prescription for antibiotics for another one to two weeks. I took the entire amount and I felt a lot better but then after a two weeks, I got another UTI and since then it has been an issue up to this point. The only way that I can describe the pain I am feeling is that of a UTI, my only pain is in my Urethra. I have burning and discomfort constantly now. I have been tested for all STDS more than once and the results have come back negative every time. At this point I have been in so much pain that I decided to see a Urologist, the first one I saw pretty much put me on every kind of antibiotic she could thing of for short periods of time because when my urine is tested, there is some kind of bacteria there but when it is sent to get cultured nothing appears. I had been with this doctor until June but nothing she had done had helped me up to that point. I then decided to change doctors because my previous one had put me on a hundred pills and nothing was helping. I would like to say that up until last year I was very healthy person and things just changed then. My previous doctor did take a scope and insert it in my urethra to bladder (sorry I don’t know the medical term) and noticed that a part of my bladder seemed to be “gravely” which she associated with a bladder infection. But after so many antibiotics nothing changed. So back to my new doctor, I saw here in June and she said I have a low grade bacterial infection in my bladder which will take 3-6 months to cure.  Because I do have bacteria in my urine, she believes that there isn’t enough bacteria to culture but enough to irritate my bladder and urethra. She said it would take about 6 to 8 weeks to feel a difference. Currently she has me own SMZ-TMP 400-80MG and PHENAZOPYRID. She also had me take a single dose of AZITHROMYCIN 500 MG (two tablets). My worry is that I still do not feel better and I am on week 4, after I took the AZITHROMYCIN which was on Tuesday 07/31, I felt better but today (08/02/2018) I have the uncomfortable and burning feeling again. I am just at a loss and I have called her and she keeps saying just wait it out, it takes a while but I am worried that it is not going away.

I will say that I have had bladder tests done, and my previous doctor had me on bladder relaxers because she believed I had an over active bladder (that cramped a lot) she didn’t do any test but I did do a bladder test recently and it showed my bladder was “slower” then normal but she believed it was due to the bladder relaxers.

I do want to say that the only pain I have is in my Urethra, I no longer have sex and I do not drink alcohol or caffeine. Please help.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry another way to describe it would be I feel like I've had one long UTI that has not gone away and is settled in my urethra. Since being on the medicine my second doctor prescribed my urine is cloudy and has a smell

• Posted

Hi mar , im sorry to hear that you have had so many unconfirmed kidney infections ,i was put on multiple antibiotics , pain killers and put on overactive bladder medication, i had the exact same problems reoccuring for 2 years, they would test my urine and find only traces of protein which then after further testing would come back clear until i was diagnosed with an extremely rare complication which is called a urethral stricture, this is where there is a narrowing in your urethra to which my bladder wasnt emptying properly which caused me to urinate constantly , as i was not able to empty my bladder completely, this lead to me developing a bulge in my bladder .i had the same symptoms as if i had a urine infection, I am not saying that you have this but maybe you could ask your doctor if it may be a possibility? Best of luck to you jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.