Issues after Ablation and now raking Amioderone. Having issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an ablation on March29, 17. Had vertigo afterward. Felt terrible for a couple days from antistetic. Went home and came back to hospital next night. Heart rate 125 and holding. Was put on amio iv and diltiazem to get my rate down.  I have now been on amioderone since. A few weeks ago, the same time every evening, I started getting flushed. Cheeks red. Feeling warm, including eyes,  Then a couple weeks ago, same time at night, I had a short episode of tachycardia. Then a few days later a little longer episode.  Now the other evening episode lasted couple hours, blood pressure got up to 192/123.  Then a couple days later same. But 5 hours and now for the past couple days. Same time 7 starts flushing, about an hour latter heart increases. Sometimes not feeling well.   HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS TYPE OF EXPERIENCE AND Could IT BE CAUSED BY THE MEDICATION?  Your answers are very much appreciated. Kind of scary.   Thank u. Sandy

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I only know amioderone is a powerful medicine and one needs to be carefully monitored on it. Understand it can affect lungs. On it for a short time before and after a procedure not an ablation. 
  • Posted

Amiordone is usually a last resort drug which can affect your eyes, lungs, kidneys, thyroid and liver. Pls make sure u r monitored closely with blood tests while taking this drug. I was on it for about 9 months and am now off it after second ablation appeared successful. It was the only drug that kept my heart in rythym. I also had vertigo for about six months but don't know why is was from. Finally went to an audiologist who was able to help me. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

It was not quite vertigo with me but it affected my equilibrium and I was unsteady when making small turning movement as when working in the kitchen or having a shower. It also gave me a tremor in my hands, floaters in my eyes and caused a film to develop over my iris and worsened my cataracts. It all stopped with a short time of stopping apart from the cataracts but at least it brought my cataract surgery forward.

Any one prescribed it should google 'the history of amiodarone'  

• Posted

Amarodione of course. As the history of it says... If the Devil had invented the drug..........................
    • Posted

The vertigo was terrible. I also went to an ent which fix d it.  Had my first ablation 2009. Still had short episodes of afib once in a great while. Went couple years no issues.only on Toprol and pradaxa. Then a couple years ago. Episode lasted a week. New Ep put me on meds all the time. Multag.That quit about a month letter.  Then amioderone for a month still did not stop. Back on flecainide, which always was my pill in a pocket. Was good for a couple months. Dr wanted me to lose about 50 before ablation, I need to lose 100. That didn't happen, since I had both knees replace, he said he will do the ablation,  after they got the rapid rate down, I was sent home in Afib. Lasted about 2 weeks and I feel it is the amio keeping it under control, but truthfully this drug scares me. My md says he can do another ablation, I'm not hesitant a all if I can get off meds, I am still puzzled and(anxious) about the recent issue.  I'm sorry for telling u my life history. I just haven't got anyone to relate. Thank u

• Posted

Good to get it out. It is not a black and white disease making it so hard to make decisions and know what to do..seems like you tried a lot of different meds. I know amariodarine is very potent and should not be on it for long lengths of time. I was on it for a procedure...Guess every case is unique ..no one knows what will work. not work. for how long..etc...
    • Posted

It's different for everyone. What meds might work for one person may not for another. It's like a hit and miss. If this drug doesn't work, try this one... and on and on til u have success. Very frustrating.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.