Issues after knee replacement, please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 25 year old female and I had total knee replacement performed a little over 6 months ago (September 2016). I believe I have had more issues after the surgery than I did before. I still have constant pain and stiffness in my knee. The pain I feel is a different type of pain, it almost feels as if I am being stung repeatedly by a group of wasps. I still experience swelling of the affected knee and extreme stiffness. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping. Even with the help of over the counter sleep aids, I still go several nights without sleeping at all. I find it very difficult to fall asleep. I have always been one to go to sleep no later than 10pm and to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, so this gas affected me greatly. I feel run down all of the time and I never have any energy to do anything. Does anyone have any tips for sleeping? Also, please let me know if this gets any better. I am starting to feel as if this surgery has completely ruined my life. I have always been a very active person and now the smallest things like grocery shopping wears me out.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had a tkr on my knee. All I've had is a scope. I can believe no one has replied to you because usually its very supportive on here. From what I've read on others comments it does get better over time and I guess you're still young so I think your healing will be better than someone older. Just keep on going to your physio and doing your stretches and quad building. You will get better Shayna. smile

• Posted

Hello

i am currently in hospital following a knee replacement and am worried about the symptoms I'm experiencing. First of all my leg feels like a solid lump of wood and my leg is twice the size size it was. The stiffness is so severe and I have only just managed to get along using a walking frame. I tried with crutches yesterday and my leg gave way and I almost fell. I can straighten my leg on the bed but cannot lift it off the bed ad need a nurse to gently lift my leg up. This morning the nurse changed my dressing and there were two blisters at the bottom of the wound and the wound was still seeping a little. I think I just need reassurance that this is normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.