Issues post pituitary tumor surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am now 4 months post surgery and I began having a nasal drip down my throat again mixed with blood. This hasn't happened since about 2 months ago. My doctor said that there's nothing to be concerned about and didn't explain anything or give me any suggestions. My head hurts today too now and I'm still hacking up bloody mucus, not alot tho. I am just curious if you have experienced this as well?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This was from 2 weeks ago now. I had posted it with no replys. I went to the emergency room a week ago because the headaches were getting very bad. Even getting up in the morning I was experiencing full pain and pressure like I had right after surgery. It also began to hurt when I chewed again. They did a catscan and bloodwork. I had an infection and lots of inflammation near surgery site. I was given pain meds and antibiotics. I have finished those now and I'm still experiencing nasal drip down my throat and headaches although they have gotten better. I would really love to get some feedback. Someone that may have experienced some of this as well. My doctors released me to full regular activities on week 8. From my experience, if anyone reads this, please take it slow...ease into everything. Everyone's body is different, no matter what the doctor says.

• Posted

Hi joneziii

sorry i didnt see this earlier. I experienced something similar, in that I had a pituitary tumour removed in May 2013 and I started having a yellow dripping fluid coming down my nose. It was an infection too and unfortunately I ended up back in hospital due to an adrenal insufficiency event (Addisonian crisis). My body couldnt cope with the infection and my Cortisol got too low. I was in hospital for another 5 days on IV drips. But when i came out, I took quite a while to recover the second time. I didnt have any further recurrences and healed fine after that.

As you say the moral of the story is if it doesn't feel right, make a fuss and get seen by the doctor.

Cheers, Car

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying! Sorry to hear you had to go back to the hospital for 5 days. Glad you healed fine after that though! Do you happen to remember if it took a long time to heal? I'm approaching week 18...I only get headaches now if I am too active and I still have a weird smell in my nose. No discharge from the nose though. My cortisol has been high even right after surgery, which I guess is a good thing. Better than low. Anyways, I am thankful I finally had the courage to get the surgery but super excited to feel normal again someday!

• Posted

Hi again joneziii

I am over 3 years since surgery, and I consider myself completely normal now. I make zero Cortisol of my own so have to take Hydrocortisone tablets daily and also get 12 weekly testosterone injections as that function disappeared too. Every pituitary patient is slightly different depending on exactly where the tumour was.

My nose did take quite a while to sort itself out, and I did get the horrible smell too, in fact I still get it occasionally but rarely. My tumour was over 3cm so I guess the surgeon had a lot to dig out lol. I had a couple of ENT appointments to remove crusting/scabs too. I suppose it is a small price to pay.

My recovery probably took a good 6 months in all to get my hormones back in balance and start to get my fitness back, I had lost all my stamina and a lot of muscle.

Take it easy, it can take a while to get back on your feet, I know I was very impatient for it all to resolve

Cheers, Carl

• Posted

Thanks again. My doctor never looked at my nose again. I've just had moments of feeling scabs fall down my throat or I cough them up. They honestly treated it like I got a tooth pulled. But overall I guess it went really well for me because none of my hormones need regulated. Im going to have to be patient with my nose and hope that my headaches stay away. With time it will heal smile

• Posted

I meant to mention the testosterone injections, those do not sound pleasant. Have you looked into the cream you can get at healthfood stores?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.