Issues swallowing solid foods and liquids. Everything comes up. What's happening?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Around Apirl 25 I started having issues swallowing, I noticed I was having issues initiating the swallowing action and I could feel food go down extremely slow. As the days continues I couldn't swallow solids anymore. Soft food give me issues along with liquids, and everything comes right back up. Around the time this started I also developed hypoalgesia... I couldn't feel pain in many areas of my body, specially my face and mouth. I saw a Gastroenterologist on May 10 and had an Endoscopy and Modified Barium Swallow done, I saw him again on May 22 and he told me everything came back normal to assume my regular diet, I did. I ate two slices of pizza by chewing extremely slow with lots of water. Some of it came right back up and I could feel the food stuck around my abdominal area for many hours and it cause alot alot of pain. I've experienced the total loss of my gag reflex... I can't really vomite no more. I asked my gastroenterologist if other test could be done and he refused... i still call his office and got an appointment for Tuesday so i can farther explain how things had gotten much worse since i last saw him. I have an appointment with a neurologist on June 15, but I'm very worried cause I'm losing alot alot of weight.. plus I i developed double vision in one eye two days ago and it hasn't gone away.. I've only been living off liquids for almost a moth and only started to try to force soft food down do to my weight loss... when all this started I was 274... now I'm down to 249... 😔

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It seems like you are suffering very much.  If you have good insurance, I suggest you might pay a visit to the ER.  June 15 is more than two weeks from now and you will probably get faster attention at the ER.  I am not medically qualified, but it does appear to me that something neurological is going on.
    • Posted

I've gone to the ER a few times, but they dismiss it as anxiety, or they tell me to wait for my appointment with my doctor... I'm really scared and want to know what's going on with me. I'm just 24 and was very healthy till this started.

• Posted

I see.  Well, at least Tuesday is not very far off.  You are young and can get through this.  A few trips to the ER indicates you have seen several different doctors there.  Perhaps your symptoms really are the result of escalating anxiety, but mention achalasia to your doctor on Tuesday.  Tell him you have heard it is frequently misdiagnosed.  See what he says.  I don't think you have had the manometry test for achalasia, so that might be in your future.  But, meanwhile, forget about pizza.  Try to get down some energy drinks.  Drink them slowly.  Your system may accept them more easily than solid food at this time.  Awhile ago, I looked up double vision in one eye and it could be nothing serious at all.  I know it's easier said than done, but try to be patient and calm as you can.  If you have a Valium around or some other pill for anxiety, take it.  It would surprise me if, after those various visits to the ER, someone did not prescribe you some medication like that.   I am not sure about all your symptoms and what might be causing them but one thing I do know.  Anxiety induced hyperventilation can certainly cause numbness around the mouth and face.  When that happens, try breathing into a paper bag or some other bag that can trap air so that your carbon dioxide level can be readjusted.  It really works.  With hyperventilation, you could also go numb in the fingers.

• Posted

Thanks for your suggestions and recomrecommendations I really appreciate it. smile
  • Posted

When you say 'food comes back up' do you mean that you are vomiting from your stomach? Or is it that you have continued to swallow food that is building up pressure because it does not pass through the lower oesophageal valve into your stomach, and this extra pressure is causing you to regurgitate undigested food?

• Posted

As I eat I can feel the food build up in my esophagus. Food can stay in my esophagus for many hours.. It's a very weird feeling.

• Posted

I still have that to this day and I had the HM w/dor fundoplication in 2012. Best of luck!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.