Issues with breathing and throat after consuming any alcohol lasting for 3days+

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im a 23 year old male, non smoker, very active, with fairly controlled Athsma.

I have been suffering for last 9 months every time I touch a drop of alcohol. After drinking my chest becomes tight, I get breathless and I have painful throat with the feeling of a lump sometimes. Normally the more I drink the longer this lasts, Its lasted for 5 days at times until i start to clear the mucus in my chest and return to normal, it has been so bad at times I have been given a course of seriods which do seem to help clear my chest. This is very frustrating as whenever I go out with friends I suffer for the next few days. I have been doctors multiple times and the chest clinic at my hospital, they have no idea why this might happen. Ive had a CT scan recently which was clear, and have shown no other symptoms than what is listed. This all started after a chest infection 9 months ago and its never been the same since. Prior to this I never had problems id been on loads of holidays drinking for days at a time and had no issues. The only mediciation I take is my Athsma inhaler and a tablet at night for it.

Its really getting me down as I cant enjoy myself at the moment, hoping for some answers, Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Is it a specific drink you get this after or all alcoholic drinks? Perhaps trying organic wine or look for preservative free drinks in case you have an allergy. Otherwise you may be getting some acid reflux due to a hiatus hernia, this can give you these symptoms. You would need a gastroscopy to check. If you are still getting a reaction after trying organic or preservative free alcohol, try nexium every day for a week and see if this helps with your symptoms, if it does, it may be reflux.

• Posted

Thanks for the responce, seems to be all alchohol that's causes it. Ive tried all sorts of different alchohol, clear spirts ect and tried to avoid beer but made no difference. I'll try preservative free and see if that helps. Thank you

• Posted

Do you want to drink alcohol because you enjoy it or because everyone else is drinking alcohol? Surely if you have such a bad reaction why not give it up? No different to coeliacs who can't eat some bread, cakes etc even though they may like them they can't eat them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.