Issues with discharge and smell from Nexplanon? Negative for infections.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have loved the impact since getting it in early August of 2016. Period every 5-6 weeks, sometimes lasting two weeks, but no pain, cramps, PMS. However, beginning February, I spotted/bled lightly for a month and a half. There was a smell almost the whole time, which got HORRIBLE once the bled started turning brown sometimes. Then it turned black and my discharge smelled like sh*t. I ended up going to ER/clinic because I thought I might have infection. I didn't, negative for all infections and STDs. Then a few days ago I saw the discharge/spotting and now I'm smelling again.

I could deal if not for the smell... It's horrifying and I'm going on vacation with a friend in 2 days! My insurance takes days to authorize the removal of the implant, so I can't get it taken out right now. Anyone know anything I can do? At least to fix the smell...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had the implant for 3 years. I must say that I also had a small that was more of like metal smell. Unfortunately it never went away until I had it removed and I have no clue how you can make it go away? Just wanted to tell you, you weren't the only one that had that happen. I also ended up with periods that were a month long and very, very heavy.

• Posted

hi there i had the implant in a few years ago now had to get it out for this reason i was told that it would go away once out after about 6 months but the smell always returns and it is awful it is ruining my life. if its not bleeding its a light pink discharge with a slight ammonia smell to it or my blood has a foul smell and is brown i have been advised this is because my uterine wall is shedding away old dead blood or something along those lines, so yeh ever since the implant ive had issues and been advised the pill will sort my hormones out but i really dont believe that at all i dont want to have anything else synthetic inside of me againĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.