Issues With Nexplanon...IUD Better?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. My daughter got the Nexplanon implant about 2 years ago. Since that time, she has gained close to 40 lbs. Also, her mood swings have been pretty bad. She was going to have it removed yesterday and get an IUD, but it had to be ordered, so her appt. had to be rescheduled for 2 weeks. Have any of you ever had the Nexplanon removed and lose the weight you gained? Was it a struggle? Her doctor said she has never had any women complain about gaining weight on it. ??? Have those of you with an IUD been pleased with it? My daughter's Nexplanon has shifted in her arm from the front of her bicep all the way to the back of it...another first for her doctor, apparently. She said her removal could be difficult because of the shift. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had the Nexplanon implant for 3 years, that was my first ever birth control. Let me tell you....yes I gained a BUNCH of weight, the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I had the worst mood swings ever! I had the worst periods, ever, about a month long! I didn't have the implant move at all but I now have a big scar from where it was removed. They really had to dig it out unfortunately. In January I got the Mirena IUD. So I've had it for a few months now. My mood swings are much better, I don't feel like I'm crazy. I must say that my weight has stayed the same only because I have not found my motivation to get my butt moving to shed the pounds. My period is very light so far and have only had to check ups since then to make sure everything is going good and in place. I will also say that it was TERRIBLE (for me) to have it inserted. I almost cried and had severe cramps that night and into the next day. So I hope shes prepared to lay on the couch and do nothing for awhile. They also gave me a pill to relax my cervix that I took the night before and a few hours before the procedure to help since I was unsure of when I would have a period (which they say its easier to insert when you have your period). I wish her luck. So far the IUD has been a good route for me, but they say it takes about 6 months for your body to get use to things.....

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! My daughter is frustrated with her weight gain and horrible mood swings. She's trying to decide if getting it taken out is worth the side effects associated with the IUD. Her doctor didn't want her getting the Minerva, but I can't recall the name of the one she ordered for her. I have read they can be quite uncomfortable during insertion. Did you have to wait awhile for the IUD to become effective or was it immediate?

• Posted

My doctor didn't want me to get the Mirena either because of the hormones but I chose anways because I heard it helps with heavy periods. The IUD is effective immediately.

• Posted

I'm just worried about the insertion being painful for her. Does the IUD cause crazy mood swings?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.