Issues with retaining information worsening - is this a side effect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m have been on 150mg Vensir XL for around 6 months, after increasing from 75mg. I seem to be struggling with retaining information lately and it seems to be getting worse. It feels a bit like absent mindedness or being over tired but it’s getting frustratingly often and embarrassing as I have just started a new job. Does anyone have experience of this? I wonder if it’s a side effect or just part of the illness? Any thoughts at all would be helpful. Many thanks 🙏 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Yes, was on Ven for a number of years and it definitely affected my memory and cognition.  My brain used to be like Velcro in terms of retaining information, it is now more like Teflon.  I cannot readily recall things that I've known for years, and it takes me much longer to comprehend complex concepts.  I had a fast paced, complex job and it became increasingly difficult for me to think as quickly as was required.  I have subsequently retired, but the deterioration, particularly with language and writing have really been alarming to me.  The bad news is that I weaned off this drug almost three years ago and have not seen any improvement. There is an entire website called Brain Zaps devoted to experiences of people who have had this side effect on this drug.  Good luck, I hope your situation improves. 

• Posted

Hi Tanya,

I do think this is caused by the medication, I’ve witnessed this with my son, who prior to taking this medication was self motivating, attending gym and more positive in his outlook.  Within two weeks I noticed him being more irritable, stopped going to the gym and isolating himself more.  My concerns to the psychiatrist was to keep increasing the medication.  After three dose increases with no reassurance that things would get better, I decided to taper him off....this process is going to be long and with potential withdrawal effects.  I’m not happy that we were not fully informed about this medication, prior to commencing it and possible effects.

• Posted

Hi Tanya,

in my long experience this is more a symptom of depression itself than of the medication. I found by the time I got into my twenties I was like this, having had depression without realizing what it was. I had been acutely aware as a teenager - too much so, but , I believe, as part of the defence mechanism that in my case my subconscience built up over that period, this is what happens as a consequence..

Philip

• Posted

concentration, memory, focus, motivation etc are all problems related to depression sufferers unfortunately

depression sufferers often dont get good sleep.  that has a big impact on the above issues also

ssri and similar meds treat the symptoms of depression.  for most depression sufferers it is a lifelong illness, whether you take meds or not

im not saying meds cant cause problems with memory or concentration etc, but just trying to point out that depression itself (and/or sleep issues etc) cause those problems also

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.