Issues with sudden swelling after 2 1/2 years after TKR

Posted , 2 users are following.

suddenly two months ago my knee started buckling and swelling with no injury.  Having PT but no success.  Possible facing surgery but not sure what it could be.  Pain under knee cap which was not replaced.  Prosthesis appeRs to be fine. Any ideas

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It could literally be anything.  You said "Prosthesis appears to be fine"...how do you know?  Has your ortho done an x-ray or MRI?  If yes and the TKR looks good, so many things could be wrong that don't show up on imaging.  Happened to me 4 times; needed 4 scopes to find and fix the problems.

"No injury"...you just may not have noticed.  Many years ago, I was sitting on my daughter's couch in her family room...new tile floor...no rug.  When I got up, my sneaker tread somehow got caught in the grout. I turned...my foot didn't.  Started getting swelling and pain a few days later.  Ortho...x-ray...mri...scope.  Seems that I tore the femoral condyle cartilage completely off the bottom of the femur.  One little "twist"...who knew?

Remember that you still have the bursa sac on your knee plus all the ligaments and tendons in there.  Sometimes, the doc's just gotta go in...

• Posted

Thanks this gives me a lot to think about.  I have had X-ray and bone scan but not MRI due to

Prosthetic knee.   I have a feeling it will need a look inside.  Seeing surgeon in November 

• Posted

Hmmmmm...  MRI after a TKR.  This is from the US National Institutes of Health (NIH)...

"Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has been considered of limited benefit following arthroplasty because of severe image degradation caused by metallic components. However, with modification of pulse sequences, artifact reduction and improved visualization of periprosthetic tissues are achievable, enabling a comprehensive assessment of articular and nonarticular pathologies."

So, yes, you used to get distorted imaging on an MRI because of the metal...but it's getting better...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.