IT Band? 8.5 months post op bilateral TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

My right knee is pretty much pain free. Left knee has pretty severe pain just below and lateral when I lift it sideways and in evenings. I have been told IT band and/or Ham string. I have been doing exercises and massage (by me) but it doesn't seem to be improving. I was quick (4 weeks) to get straight and bend to 135 degrees (awesome PT for 5 months, 2 times a week) but left knee seems to have lost about 25 degrees and seems swollen. Surgeon says all is good and that he "did his part, now I need to do mine" to get my body to adjust to new knees. I lost 30 lbs before surgery and 15 after surgery (could still lose 20 but I am no longer obese) and walk 2-5 miles a day, go to the gym 2-3 times a week with 20 minutes of bike and 40 minutes of weight and stretching. Surgeon says it could take 1-2 years for pain to go away. It feels like something is caught behind a (tendon, ligiament, muscle? I have no idea) as something pops over something else when I lift it sideways. Still very painful first steps and standing from a sitting position also. Any helpful ideas on the IT band thing. Internet says exercise not the answer but doesn't relly give a better answer.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It almost (and I'm no therapist) that you are doing a little too much on that knee. 2 to 5 miles is a lot to me and I'm 1.5 years out, but have had excellent results doing less than that. A lot of ice (I know, brilliant) and keep losing the weight. I dropped from obese  to overweight  by losing 20lbs. I too have about 20 more to go. I know that 20lbs helped though. Anyway, best of luck. Sounds to me like you are kicking but and taking names. 

• Posted

Wow!! I am a 58 year old female who is 19 mo post bilateral tkr. From the beginning I have had excellent bilateral rom. The right has been pain free. The left was painful for 18 mo. It also had horrible lateral pain and I felt a snapping upon flexion or extension. My last appointment the surgeon said I might need a scope arthroscopically. Also, there was a tiny bit if swelling on the lateral side. Anyway, the surgeon suggested that we try a shot of quartazone to get rid of the edema and see what happens. One week later it felt like my right knee. Now one month later it still feels great. I don't know if it will last, but I love it now. The surgeon said if it becomes painful again, a scope will probably be the next step to see what is going on. Of course, I hoping it continues to feel great with no snapping, pain etc. so that is my story so far. I wish you luck keep searching for an answer. I feel very fortunate that my surgeon really listens. Take care Joyce

• Posted

Hi Joyce!

I got my cortesone shots in each knee at IT band connection just below the knee yesterday. It is a lot better and I thank you for the input!! The Doctor was very receptive to it when I told him of your history! My 8 level pain is a mere 2 now and I can deal with that. I hope it lasts!  Off to Cabo vacation now to test it. THANK YOU so much!!! You are my hero!!!

• Posted

That's great! It should get even better over the next two weeks. My shot is still holding though not quite as perfeyas a couple of weeks ago. Still so much better though. I hope yours continues. Glad you also had a receptive physician. Enjoy your vacation and don't overdo it even though you will feel like you can.

Let me know how your doing in a few weeks.

Take care

Joyce

• Posted

OMG Joyce thank you!  That is the gleam of light I was hoping for!  If my surgeon wo t do it, I will find one that will!!!
  • Posted

Don't you just love surgeons?  "I did my part, now you do yours."  I'd walk right out of the office if mine ever told me something like that. Many surgeons think their responsibility ends after surgery, and have litle interest in true patient care.  I used to work with them, so I'm not over-generalizing.

• Posted

Yes, Up until that point I thought he was great!  I must have been in shock when he said that as I just sat there. My husband was with me, and was waiting for me to say something, which I never did. When we walked out, we were both shocked and angry!  I go back Oct 13 for 8 month check up. If he doesn't take my pain and clicking serious and suggest the 2 things offered to joyc61477 (see her response above) I will find another surgeon to examine his work. It was a shameful response and maybe time for him to retire if that's how he really feels! ( he is older)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.