IT Band Syndrome

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have this and waited until it was very, very painful to see my doctor.It seems that our IT BAND goes from our hip down the outer side of the leg, it crosses over the knee and then down the shin.

Every time I stood up there was pain for awhile until I got pressure on it for a couple minutes. This happens when our glute and hip muscles are too weak and overuse puts strain on the IT band. If you start to have pain on the side of your thigh, mine was a few inches up from my knee or on the side of your knee area on the edge of your hipline, treat it right away with rest, icing and Ibuprophen or another anti-inflammatory.  My physical therapist also told me about KT tape. I like the nude colored 8” pre-cut. You can find rolls of it on Amazon. If you tend to it right away you might not get it as inflamed as mine was. I am on 3 weeks of rest and icing and anti-inflammatories as per my doctor. I have 3 days of my 3 weeks left. The pain has subsided quite a bit, but is not totally gone. Since this ended up being more painful then right after surgery, I clean to take everything real slow for awhile. Hope to get some pool time in, just treading water and light exercise. My focus has changed from getting back to normal quickly to slow and steady. No long walks until those muscles strengthen every one! I have many light exercises to do. I think all will be well if I just go slow. This set me back, so please heed if you start getting this sort of pain. Rest, icing and Ibuprophen (anti-inflammatories) right away and you might keep it from the extreme pain I got. Also put KT tape along your hipline from beside your knee area up as far as it will reach. It does help more then I could have imagined.   Stretching and clamshells in bed are good too. My hip feels fine, it is not tight or painful and moves as it should. It basically feels like my own hip but stronger, but this IT band was MOST difficult and you must get it under control as soon as possible. I read one woman struggling with it for two years. I would rather take a 3 week setback and go slow and steady from here out. Personally I did a lot of walking the preceding weekend to this. I felt fine and walked through 3 large stores shopping and went up and down my daughter's stairs twice, my first time doing stairs and I did a full set twice with no handrail, just a wall I couldn't really hold onto because it had photos on it. These were not extreme activities, I think I just did too much in 2 days time. My hip muscles simply were not strong enough to endure it and I got an inflamed IT band. I sure wish I had known about it beforehand so please fellow hippies be aware! I was about 10 or 11 weeks post op when it occurred and felt elated with my hip replacement. Had pain for about 3 days after surgery, used walker the recommended 2 weeks then went to a cane. I had quit using the cane in my home and walking next door to my neighbors and even out to dinner one night. I was still using it however most times I went out, as I needed it for curbs and steps. Honestly I should have used it longer as now I am back to using it full time. I got a complete lesson about IT Band syndrome from my doctor and physical therapist. Don't stop your aids early, it is not a race, you will have less problems and a better gait if you use them longer. I forgot to mention, buy KT tape so you have it on hand, it is inexpensive at Amazon. I like the 8" precut type. Mine stays on even with daily showering for 4 or 5 days.

Remember Hippies this IT band thing can become chronic, catch it at the very beginning. The KT tape info came from my physical therapist. The tape may even help you from getting this. If I could do it over I would have used the KT tape at the very first sign. I would have taken a couple of days of rest at the first sign, I would have iced the sore area and I would have taken an anti-inflammatory (Ibuprophen). I'm guessing it might not have progressed if I had that info. I may have only lost a couple of days instead of 3 weeks progress and saved an awful lot of pain. I was very grateful I has not used many of my pain pills as I needed them for this! When I start back to doing things, there will be no longer walking for awhile, gentle exercises and ice after activities in that IT band area. Any soreness and I will take over the counter anti-inflammatories. I am almost to that point so will have to see how it goes. I see my doctor next Wednesday and hopefully he will advise me. I do NOT want this to become chronic. I was doing great before it. I will listen to my doctor and will go slow and steady. If I can prevent one of you dear hippies from getting this as bad as I did, this posting will be worthwhile. I had so much pain  I thought I was crippled for life. Finally I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I will take care of myself and go slow from here on out.

Be KIND to yourselves, as much as we want to get back to our normal activities this can make them take much longer.  

If you already are in severe pain with this, see your doctor, he can give you a corticosteroid shot mid thigh that will help your healing process and most specifically the pain.  

Good luck to each and every one of you that gets this.  I read it occurs to some degree in 2 out of every 10 hip replacements.  It happens when you think everything is fine and get back to your activities.  Again, your gluten and hip muscles needs to strengthen more and that will just take time and your simple exercises.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peggy

Really informative for us all, and your response to my previous post where I asked if anyone had any ideas what has happened to cause so much pain I am sure is spot on it is IT band problem. I am going to try the tape too as well as your other suggestions. Invaluable advice for us all to bear in mind and catch it as soon as possible. Thank you again. Take care

• Posted

I too am recovering from antagonizing my IT Band and my piriformis muscle.  This developed immediately from me stepping off the train, 8 years after that hip had been replaced.  It is very painful!

The KT tape is new news to me and I will get some immediately.  I also have been using a swimming ball, placed on my buttock area and laying on it for 15 minutes at a time, which seems to help also.  Make sure your back is straight when laying on the ball.  It's sort of doing pressure point therapy on myself.  I also got a massage directed in that area which really relieved a lot of the pain.

• Posted

Peggy just take care of yourself.  And thank you for passing your information on.
  • Posted

Thanks so much for this . I think that this may be my problem but thankfully to a much lesser degree. I will certainly try the tape. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

I hope I was able to help. Be sure to ice and take an anti-inflammatory as well as resting a bit. If it was to a lesser extent you might get over it quickly, but go slow and steady at least for the first 3 months and rest when you hurt. 

'Best Wishes,

Peg

• Posted

Hello Peggy

​I hope you are continuing to improve.  I just thought I would tell you I bought the KT tape on Saturday and put it on yesterday after looking at instructions on internet. I thought it was some sort of a fashion accessory for sportspeople! Also iced and took anti imflammatories I had before op. and today it feels a lot better. really surprised at the 3 points when I pressed along side of hip. knee, mid thigh and outside of hip immediately were less painful when I applied the pressure with the tape. Thank you so much for your reponse to my post and the above one.  I was really getting anxious that something with the joint wasnt right but felt more muscular but didnt know what. So far so good!   x

• Posted

I am so glad that has helped you. There are so many issues that can happen that it hard to know for sure, however your symptoms just sounded so familiar. I find the KT tape very helpful. I went in the pool today and left the tape on and it stayed put. I was finally able to get some light exercise in the pool. Since it was my first time in 3 weeks I kept it pretty minimal. I did notice I had a much easier time going down the pool steps though. I see the doctor on Wednesday but 3 weeks was today. I expect to try to take it slowly this time. My pain is almost gone and I feel elated about that. I hope you caught yours earlier and are able to curtail the problem. If you run out of anti-inflammatories you can just use Advil or Ibuprophen. I would keep it up for at least a few days after you start feeling better and then go slow for awhile. We feel better quickly but there is still a lot of healing going on inside. You will always read people who have no issues and recover quickly but we are all different and most of us need more time. Also some of those doing things quickly will have problems down the road. Good luck with your recovery

Regards,

Peg

• Posted

Hi Peggy I'm so glad I've read your post I'm 12 weeks post tlhr hip great but I'm suffering with ITB and the muscles in my leg and glutes just not working I'm still in alot of pain physio keep reassuring me it will improve its going to take time my hip was bad for about 7 years before I had the operation just gets me down when I feel like I'm getting no where need to get back to work but just know I could stand all day to pain ful I'm a teaching assistant so don't sit down much at work anyway moan over with keep doing the excercises and rest more thanks for listening lol

• Posted

Kathryn,

It takes awhile to fully recover from the IT band syndrome. I had two steroid shots, two months apart, rested fully for 3 weeks and still it took awhile. KT Tape placed along that side thigh muscle to just  barely above knee helped. I think I am over it now though. It is a journey, especially if you have had problems awhile and could not be very active. My doctor says I will recover fully it will just take longer. I cannot do a lot of walking or PT because my other knee needs replacement and is very painful....so it’s slow going. I am now 6 months post op. I have good days when I can do most things and have done shopping etc. I also still have some bad days when my right knee is hurting and it makes me walk weird which my new hip does not like. I accept now that full recovery can take a year or even longer and I’m okay with it because the bad days are fewer these days and haven’t needed my 3 leftover pain pills for a long while now. If you are working that has to be tougher for you but you also may recover sooner as a result. I am in for a new challenge as we are moving, downsizing, bought a smaller house. Lots of things to go through and get rid of, plus packing. It’s only 80 miles away so it doesn’t have to happen at one time but between Christmas and packing, I am overwhelmed. We’ll get through it though...

Peg

• Posted

Peggy, I could have written this post myself. Every detail you explained, from surgery, (THR) to IT band syndrome, happened to me too. I'm 5 months out from my surgery and going on 3 months now with pain from IT band. I go to PT, Chiropractor, Massage Therapist, light weight exercise and it seems the more I do the more inflamed it gets. I can't wait to get over IT band syndrome and resume my life.  

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I struggled with IT band syndrome before surgery. I thought it was gone because of the surgery but now that I’m moving around more (I’m almost 3 weeks post surgery) I feel like it’s flaring up again. I’m going to talk to my surgeon and therapist so it can be addressed ASAP. I think I may be pushing myself too much because I’m frustrated and impatient . I’m also struggling with fatigue, anxiety and depression which only adds to my frustration and need to be 100% better now.  
  • Posted

Great Great Post Peggy.

I had Tendonitis of the iT Band that I ignored and kept on working and I permanently damaged it, it NEVER healed, at all. I had it for several years. When tendonitis never heals it is then called tendonosis. My surgeon did something during my THR and I was so overjoyed that he fixed something in my iT Band and FINALLY I had relief. Form time to time if I make a certain movement it will come back but now I am hyper aware and rest it and don't push it as I NEVER want to have that happen to me again. It has never flared back up bad, I jsut stop getting up from a low step stool and rest it, don't do a lot of walking or carrying anything heavy in my hand on that side, like grocery bags full of food. After just 2 or 3 days it subsides.

You are doing everything right and I wish for your healing.

• Posted

Hi Peggy,

Did you have any trouble walking? I am 11 weeks post op THR. I have been having some pain for a week now but woke up and can barely walk. i cant get my leg to move. Its like it is frozen or something. It is very weird. I am using crutches now and basically dragging my leg around. It unfreezes every now and then for a few seconds but then right back.

I am seeing my Ortho doctor today so hopefully I will know what is going on.

thank you!!

Lindsay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.