It came back!!! );

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had SVT's since my late twenties. They were pretty mild then, would last a 30 secs to a minute, and would happen maybe twice or three times a year.

About 7 years ago, attacks became more often and longer, I had to go to ER twice and had that nasty medicine injected so my heart would reset. I decided to go for an ablation, and after the procedure everything turned "normal" again!!! I though how lucky we are to have this kind of technology available... until two weeks ago I had my first long episode again!!! (about 5 minutes) I decided to do some burpees, and that did it for me, I was able to reset heart.

Then, last night again, had to run to ER because I had another attack, this was harder to reset, I did burpees, ran hard, I tried relaxing, laying down in bed, unfortunately any of the tricks didn't work, and as soon as I sat in the ER emergency (after 45 minutes of my heart ripping off my chest) it stopped. Fortunately I did not have to inject that medicine.

My comment is that I noticed that the two episodes happened after a day that I had drank red wine. I have not drink in a while, and had a couple of social events where I had two glasses of red wine.

Have any of you noticed any correlation with red wine and svts attacks? 

Now I am all paranoid that I will have another attack again, and when!!? Of course no more red wine for me. ): 

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Andre,

Yes, any alcohol can cause svt. I have had several attacks after drinking. I can never have over 5 ounces of red wine for fear of having an attack. 

Judy

• Posted

It seems to vary from person to person Andre (and so does anxiety). At first I was told by medics that booze was a  trigger for SVT, so I gave it up for about 3 months but my SVT actually got substantially worse...

All I can say is that during the 15 years or so of my SVT prior to being cured by an ablation, alcohol was definitely NOT a trigger in my case. My certain triggers were caffeine (even decaff), sudden bending movements, and mental or emotional stress (usually delayed reaction). Eventually though, most commonly my SVT just happened for no reason I could detect.

Regardless of what medics or others say, I wouldn't give up life's simple pleasures unless I was certain they were making me ill....

• Posted

You are right about not giving up the little pleasures, I think I have really good eating habits, and a glass or two of red wine seemed OK to me. I'm just still in shock that after all these years without any attacks, I was absolutely certain that ablation was successful and SVT was gone "forever".

My attacks always happen when I'm resting or sitting down ): last night I was cooking when I felt my heart go off like crazy... sigh.- 

Thank you for your reply (:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.