It does get better!

Posted , 2 users are following.

i made a promise to myself that when things got better I would post my story.

I am 7 weeks in on 50mg of Zoloft. i struggled alot up until now. Severe anxiety and crippling depression, I could not see any light at the end of the tunnel. I decided to go see a psychiatrist so they could help me with therapy but also the medication. I was having bad side effects from the Zoloft so we reduced to 25mg and I also went on a low dose of Zyprexa. Zyprexa is an anti psychotic for severe bi polar disorder. I dont have bi polar but in small doses in combination with anti depressants can be a good management system. Literally overnight after taking my first dose its like the clouds lifted! I was also prescribed sleeping tablets as my Dr reiterated to never under estimate sleep and how the lack of it can increase anxiety. I am by no means out of the woods yet but i have had a taste of my old self and I know I will only get better. Please do not ever think you are going to be stuck like this, believe me just only a week ago I too felt the same way. Hang in there, ask for help and always believe that there is light at the end.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess...pleased you have found a good combination, I'm on 100mg sertraline and 50mg quetiapine which is an anti psychotic too ,like you I am not bipolar but still struggling especially in the mornings. I have also had several physical illnesses, 2 UTIs caused by interstitial cystitis treatments being cancelled cos of virus and 2 bad outbreaks of oral herpes, both these have needed a lot of painkillers. I'm in touch with a psychiatrist and nurse that keep saying it's because the physical is interfering with the mental that's the problem or maybe it's the painkillers, just dont know other than I cant seem to come out of this bout of depression. regards

• Posted

I feel for you and it makes sense that the physical illnesses are having a major effect. I am glad you are seeing a professional. Just want to make I read it right, so you are still suffering from depression is that right?

• Posted

hi...yes that's right...I was stable on sertraline for ages until I had knee replacement surgery and crashed. Sertraline no longer worked so doc put me on mirtizapine that worked but caused oedema so had to come off it. Then it was venlafaxine but wasent working so I was referred to psychiatrist. he tried citalopram with lithium then went on leave. I became so ill, couldn't contact anyone and ended up in A&E, it was a severe agitative episode and came off both then back on sertraline and quetiapine. All this has been going on couple of years now since knee OP, like a rollercoaster of ups and downs. As soon as I improve something "physical" happens which knocks me down again, doesn't help that the nurse said if they increase the sertraline again and it dosent work theres nowhere else to go????

• Posted

I am deeply sorry for the physical pain you are enduring I cannot relate but I can totally emphathise

One thing I can say is do not listen to that nurse! I have learnt only to take advice on those that are trained in mental health

There are many treatment options for you so dont think sertraline is the only answer

Perhaps ypu should see another pyshiatriast keep all of your options open because trust me there are options and you dont have to continue like this

I know it is easy for me to say but you have to remain hopeful xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.