It does get better! Acute Pancreatitis

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi there,

Almost 4 weeks ago I had my first (and hopefully last) acute pancreatic attack. I was hospitalized and put on nil by mouth for 36 hours. My hospital stay was for three nights and then I came home.

The first few weeks at home were very average. I was in quite a bit of discomfort (especially during and after doing a wee). It was very depressing as I am an active person.

But, today, I am feeling heaps better! Finally.

I must say that taking great heed of diet and rest was instrumental to my recovery. Small meals of the following was what I ate: jelly, fruit, mashed potato with veg and salmon, chicken and veg soup (which was put in the fridge and the fat scraped off the top before I ate it), English muffins with jam, corn thins, plain cooked pasta etc. I stayed away from oil, butter, dairy as well as checked labels on everything I purchased - the advice I was given was 70g fat in total per day...this is not much.

I was also unable to stand upright until today and was hunched over like Gollum in LOTR.

Hopefully my recovery will continue, but I just wanted to write this so any future people with an attack the same level as mine can take comfort that it will get better.

Oh, drink pear juice regularly as pancreatitis is synonymous with constipation. ;-)

1 like, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just out of curiosity, what were your enzyme counts during the attack? I just got out of the hospital yesterday. My doctors said they'd never seen numbers so high.
    • Posted

My first time lipase 34000, second time 24000, third time which was only a week after I came home from the second 2300.
  • Posted

I wanted to post as well, as my experience was very similar to yours.  I am posting on Oct 28, 2015 and was hospitalized on September 20.  I was in the hospital for 11 days, and had complications from my Acute Pancreatitis caused by Gallstones such as recurring pain, fever, and SupraVentricularTachycardia.  On several occasions the entire crash team came rushing into my room saying "your heart is way out of rhythm."  SCARY.  Heart problems run in our family, so this worried both me and my husband.  I had a GREAT care team and I was released on October 1, a Thursday.  It will be 4 weeks tomorrow, and frankly, I never believed I would feel as good as I do today... EVER AGAIN.  It DOES get better, and I agree - it is all about sleeping, resting and eating to regain your strength.  I lost 15 lbs while I was in the hospital for 11 days, and I have been so careful with my diet I have actually lost another pound since coming home. (Anyone who has been through this has experienced the fasting required to rest the Pancreas.  The lack of food I could live with - but I was so thirsty I thought I would croak!) Since coming home, I am sure to get 8-9 hours sleep per night, and I am eating small snacks throughout the day.  Lots of soup, half sandwiches on wholewheat bread adorned with tomatoes and spinach instead of cheese, and lots of Outshine popsicles!  I have eaten grits, mashed potatoes, and spagetti with fat free sauce.  I have also developed an appetite for lemon sorbet, and doc says it is good for me.  I was told just 30 grams of fat per day - thats tough to do, but possible.  I also take care of my 99 year old mom at home, so I was determined to get back to normal ASAP.  Today was the first day I felt that way - "normal" - energetic and back in a positive mood.  So eat as your doctor has recommended, get plenty of rest, and keep asking the good Lord to make you better - and YOU WILL GET BETTER!  (I cracked up when I read your comment about Gollum.  I was finally able to straighten all the way up YESTERDAY - so I can relate!)  Thanks for posting.  Hope all are feeling better or will be soon.  THIS IS NO FUN!!!
  • Posted

Sorry - I forgot to mention, I had 13 Gallstones removed while in the Hospital and still have not had my GB out.  I am hoping to do that in Jan.  Drink lots of Organic Apple Juice - really good for your pancreas... and if you have a juicer, Beet Juice helps too.  I'll shut up now!
  • Posted

Hi Everybody . My only acute pancreatitis attack was 2 yrs 3 mnths ago and i,m still okay. I,m still taking 2 grapeseed extract tabletsand 2 turmaric capsules a day .

Keeping well hydrated at all times and being completely teetotal .

Hopefully I wont get another attack as I think anyone who has had it lives with the fear of it returning , but it definitely doesnt always come back and it does get better ! .

Keep positive guys x

• Posted

I have stumbled across this thread after being diagnosed with pancreatitis about 4 weeks ago......it's very reassuring! I don't know anyone who has had it, so it's hard to relate to anyone!

I am so scared that I will get the pain again.  I had my attack at 2am, and it started with no warning.....all of a sudden, I was hunched over with 10/10 abdo pain.  

• Posted

Hi there, I am a 30 y/o female and I just want to let you know that I had undiagnosed attacks of pancreatitis for 10 years and each time made a full recovery. They finally figured it out and I have been getting ERCP's to open up my pancreas ducts. It's helped a lot but twice I got moderate pancreatitis from the procedures, equiring a hospital stay. The doctors expect a full recovery and no permanant damage. I don't want to scare you into thinking you will have recurring attacks- but just want to say that it is ok and you will recover!! Drink a lot of water and stay away from alcohol.

• Posted

I just got over my 4th pancreatitis attack. This time they strongly feelI had a gallstone left over from my gallbladder removal in 1983. They said it was in my duct and finally found it's way out(I passed it). Never have drank or smoked . So I am hoping this is it for me. But on a very restricted diet which I was following as I am type 2diabetic also, not perfect with my diet but I do try. Reading about you all I do not feel so alone anymore in this . Thank you. Good health to you all as I am hoping for.

• Posted

Hi there,

I stumbled across your post looking for answers as I do every time I have any sign my pancreatitis rears its ugly head. I too have suffered from this dabilitating condition for years. I had my first attack when I was 16 i wasn't a big drinker obviously at this age. I'm now 29 my last attack was 2 years ago just after my 3rd child. I'd spend between 5 days to sometimes 2 weeks in hospital every time being the same old story. One thing I could pin point as a trigger would be alcohol and going from an average poor diet of the occasional fatty foods to a very strict healthy eating plan. Without a doubt this would set me off. I've recently (2 weeks ago) been diagnosed lactose intolerant, and tonight started to have huge pains again! Think I may be due for my regular ERCP and stent for my bile duct what a life saver this procedure has been. How often do you have this done?

Sorry for the long winded story it was my shortest version after so many years ha ha! 

• Posted

Hi There, Hoping you see this since your post was from a year ago. I found your post the one and only encouraging post. I recently had a few acute pancreatitis attacks. For the first two, I didn't know what it was and did not seek medical attention. On the 3rd, I was admitted to the hosptial for 3 days. I seem to be recovering. I've cut out alcohol, although I was never a heavy drinker and fatty foods. Now that it has been some time for you, can you tell me, will I ever be able to go back to a normal diet with the occassional slice of pizza? I expect that alcohol will always be out of the question, but Im trying to figure out if I need to stick to this new lifestyle forever or if there is ever any wiggle room? Any advice or help you can offer would be apprecated. Thanks.
    • Posted

I had pancreatitis for the first time about 6 years ago but didn't thought it was an anxiety attack and went to the er a couple days later because I was still feeling bad and my lipase numbers obviously went down because they didn't find anything and I got on celexa for anxiety. I was in pain for the next month or so and was fine until I had another attack last September and went to the hospital with acute pancreatitis. The pain was exactly the same that's how I now know the first time was pancreatitis. I was in the hospital for 3 days with no food and ate little but then felt better. My gi told me to eat less fat bc he saw fat on my liver he never said it was because of pancreatitis that I have to stop eating fat so 6 months later in February I was back with another attack and in for another 3 days. I don't drink so I didn't have to stop that but I eat no fat now and have felt better. A month ago I thought I was having the pain again and was nauseas so I went to the doctor and he wanted neme to have a ct scan and founkidneyey stones and said my right rib cage was inflamed but it wasn't my pancreas! I was excited but now I sometimes feel nauseas and I'm scared it's my pancreas sometimes and I'm scared to eat. These posts being positive had really helped. I'm under the impression the new horrible diet is a forever thing and that sucks because I'm only 4 10 and was 113 pounds and now I'm only 99 pounds and I don't want to lose more!
  • Posted

Omg thank you sooo much! I out of no where 3 am woke up in sever pain 106 fervor I blacked out straight to my face I was soooo scared I hate the hospital so I really tried to wing it off but I felt like I was dying I finally went to the hospital and got diagnost with pancrioutits and gastritis I was there for 4 days my engine levels were 6500 I was discharged at 1000 3 days later I ended up right back in hospital for another 4 days!!! Cause it wasent better they told me it can come back anytime!!! And I'm scared nowsad I never been sick before or had any probs I'm 28 years old and feel alone so I thank you for this positive helpful message smile I just hope it won't come back sad
    • Posted

Stay away from high fats, sugar and alcohol and you will greatly reduce the risk of a return attack. I found avoiding fructose (the sugar in fruits) helped a lot as well. My pancreatitis was caused by swollen ducts- and they don't know why ducts get swollen. But for years it was undiagnosed and I found relief through diet. Stay positive and stay healthy! You aren't alone! I'm a 30 y/o female btw. Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi I know this is an older post but I recently had my mother admitted into the hospital for stomach pains.. she was in severe pain for 3 days and ended up in the hospital for 3 more days. She's out now after asking to check out. I'm very worried. I read so many negative comments about pancreatic cancer and it scares me. I live with my mom to help her out around the house and she still seems to be in a bit of pain. It's nice to read posts if people being on after an attack, but is there anuthing I can tell my mother on how to avoid this in the future? She's not a big drinker but she does have diabetes. What changes should we make in life to help her out?
  • Posted

This is a very interesting discussion and I do think I may keep having recurring bouts with pancreatitis..I had my Gallbladder removed going on 2 years ago at the end of this month but I have still been in varying degrees of pain. I have a pretty high threshold for pain but lately it has been rocking me especially at night and I have been extra nauseated. Now my appetite is about all the way gone, I can drink very little although I am crazy dry in the throat and mouth. The only relief I get is drinking something hother or something that forces me to burp...my digestive tract is at a stand still and I am frankly very tired and worn down. Doctors act like I am making stuff up and sometimes I feel like I'm crazy but the pain is real without a doubt. Maybe I should scream and roll on the floor and they will believe me??
    • Posted

My first attack was August of 2015. Stayed in hospital about 6 days and home for a week recovered fine. Lipase number was over 34000. I was good until sept 22 of this year. Had another attack got to hospital lipase was over 24000. Took gallbladder out even though scans showed no signs it was gallbladder. Stayed in hospital about 6 days. Came home started recovery about a week later had to go back to hospital. Lipase was over 2300. Had increased that quickly since I came home. Stayed another 5 days came home. Since then I haven't been able to hold food down. I stay nauseated even though I'm on zofran, an acid reduced and a medicine to coat the lining of my my esophagus and stomach. Most days I throw up at least once. Pain constant from the pancreas or throwing up. The did an autoimmune test mine was negative. They can do an ERCP but I've had gastric bypass so not so easy procedure for me. Normally just down the throat etc. since I've had that it's a major surgery and they say it still may not fix the problem. I'm having to work but not very many good days. Right now still way more bad days. I'm now throwing up blood. I'm suppose to go back to my GI dr nov 22. About to have to change because I'm getting no relief. None at all!!!!! They even ran the scope down last week upper endoscopy and saw nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.