It had been nearly 8 months since my last ankle surgry and it still stiff ?!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey

I am 22 years old, I had a car accident on 14/2/2018 and I broke my ankle, I did a surgery to fix it on 4/3/2018 , the doctor used some screws and wires, I did a second surgery after 45 days to take the long screw out, the DR said I can start walking and putting weight on the ankle so I did, after a month later I saw the DR again for checking up, he said the fracture is healed and I most start physical therapy sessions, I did for a month but the movement wasn't that good also, so I finished the 9 sessions and stayed home living normally and moving around with a my ankle stiffness, it doesn't move so well but I can walk in a funny way, I went back for the DR and he said there was nothing wrong and should have another PT sessions, I did some sessions and stopped also, now it's been awhile, like five or six months after the sessions but I still have the stiffness , it's worse in the morning, I can't walk properly, I can't run, I can't jump, is it normal or should I do something about it, does it need another surgery? Or it's just a matter of more time? Help me

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ouch! I'm in the same boat though, got in a car wreck and shattered the hell out of my ankle. I'm now almost 2 years out from the accident and my ankle still aches and groans at any kind of weight and movement.

My doctor said that it's normal to have some stiffness and pain in the ankle for about the first 1 -5 years, cause that's when the joint should level itself out and have fixed itself past the break.

However, as a non-medical personnel, I do recommend more physical therapy. I was in therapy for 6 months after I got the cast removed and worked particularly in the pool to try and get my ankle used to things like running, jogging, and jumping.

Good luck and I hope that was a little helpful! 😄

• Posted

Thank you that was really helping, Iam just frustrated that can't walk properly or even run or Any physical exercise, I was afraid that it need surgical movement, but I will hold on a bet to see what happens , thank you again

• Posted

Oh, good ways to exercise with the ankle is upper body exercises to avoid angering the joint but staying fit, but I was reccomended to use a stationary bike (just be careful and alert your doctor if the joints clicks in the back like mine does, and ask your physical therapist for a strength band (red, blue yellow, green, etc) depending on how strong it is to help aid the mobility in the joint. And this is going to sound dumb, but I promise it works! Try picking up marbles and or dry beans with just your toes and move them somewhere else, if helps strengthen your foot and stabilize the ankle from below (I did it in physical therapy for months and still do it actually)

The reason running is hard may be because it's just really weak, the joint may just be having a hard time handing the weight and pressure your body puts on it, so more physical therapy focusing around mobility and talk to your doctor about a brace, not for all the time, just for running and stuff to see if it helps.

(Sorry, didn't want to leave your comment unresponded to when I had something else to say XD

• Posted

I had an ankle fusion on 1st aug. I'm just walking around the house without a boot. I'm in more pain now than when totally in a boot. learning to walk again.using muscles not used in 4 months. it hurts, my ankle is stiff! sometimes I think I will never walk properly!

I saw a friend today who had a similar op in 2011. he said all my pain stiffness and swelling is normal.. just keep on trying to move but also be careful.

its pants but hopefully we will get better !

anne

• Posted

Thank you, I needed to make sure that it's not getting worse, but I will hold on and keep moving and trying, thank u

• Posted

so sorry , but it is very painful I had a total ankle replacement in July 2019mine is still very painful I can walk for about 15 to 20 min with a cane. then it swells and starts hurting worse, It takes a lot of Pt to get your muscles moving again .it is very frustrating but dont give up as I havent .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.