It has been 2 weeks now I have had a fast heart rate,and a bit of chest discomfort

Posted , 7 users are following.

It all started with a night when i was about to go to bed, suddenly I felt like I was fainting. My heart rate accelerated to almost 200bpm. My head felt light and a bit of discomfort in the chest. I thought I had a heart attack. It lasted for 3 hours. I was okay when I woke up the next morning. After then I had a chest tightness that stayed for 3-4 days and I was diagnosed with tachycardia. The lightheadedness is still there and i feel the chest discomfort is not going.heart rate is still a bit high. I am scared of going out because I think I will die any time. When I'm waking up its alright but as it gets night, I feel weak everyday and the lightheadedness doesn't go. I am a 17yr old male. Is there an underlying heart condition behind this?really need help I can't just keep thinking of this, and when im thinking about this, it gets worse.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

What an anxious time for you.   Please make an appointment to see your doctor so he can answer all your questions.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My ekg report was abnormal. It showed tachycardia. I made an appointment but the doctor told me I'm okay and prescribed be Nodon 2.5g. The chest tightness is gone but the rate is still high and the lightheadedness is persistent.

• Posted

You need to see a cardiologist.  No question.
  • Posted

No doubt you don’t need a primary doctor you need a cardiologist. The fact is that primary doctors don’t really no what to do when it comes to arrhythmia’s or heart problems  and I for one do not trust them. Anyways what is your heart rate? My heart rate gets to 200 when I go into SVT I feel it in my chest, it causes me a lot of chest pain, after SVT I go into tachycardia then junctional rhythm. They may have caught your heart coming out of SVT. But I am not a doctor. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! Tachycardia is not present currently, though a fast rate of 90+ is prevalent. everything else is fine just the lightheadedness and a bit of chest discomfort here and there.
  • Posted

I want to to go to the kitchen get a funnel, and put it in a jug or other container, dump a cup of water in the top of the funnel, and tip out the water that has fallen through, do the same again, and again, the faster you do that exercise the less and less water you can pour into the funnel, and the less and less that gets into the container the funnel is draining into.  

?Exactly the same with your heart, the faster it beats the less blood is getting into the heart to squeeze out, remember your blood vessels are like the tube of the funnel, only so much can get through at any one time.

?That very simply explains I hope your breathlessness, only a small amount of blood is getting to your lungs to oxygenate and exchange carbon dioxide from your blood.

?Yes you do need to see a cardiologist, but if your heart starts beating at 200bpm you need to ring for an ambulance, that needs recording while it is happening, DO NOT WAIT.

?To me it sounds like you have an electrical issue going on, and they have to catch it while it is happening, not five minutes after it stops, or slows down.

?Husband had something similar, electrical issue, even junior cardiologists dismissed as issue for 15 months as it never happened when they were recording his heart, finally his heartbeat dropped to 30BPM at home, I have the recording on a small BP monitor, even then dismissed by juniors at heart hospital, they removed his heart tablets, 12 hours later, his heartbeat at 23BPM, as his tablets wore off.

My claim it was an electrical issue was dismissed, don't worry when the senior consultant cardio arrived I let him have it with both barrels, told him my opinion of his junior staff, and also told him at the top of my shouting voice, that I was a better cardiologist than his medical school trained staff, I WAS NOT POLITE, husband had pacemaker and defib installed a couple of hours later, he has 100% branch bundle block, natural, with pre-existing heart failure, ejection fraction returned to 45% a year after procedure, was about 28% before pacemaker.

• Posted

Check out the SVT group. You may get your answers there. Superventricular tachycardia is what it’s called. “It will not kill you” so my cardiologist told me when I was afraid to go to sleep. You may also need to see a EP cardiologist. Hope I have eased you mind just a little. I know this condition is frightening because I have suffered with SVT for almost 3 years now. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Even i was afraid to go to sleep. That did ease my mind!
  • Posted

What you have my dear young man, is a major issue with anxiety.  You need to get a hold of that, because it will do you no good.  Your adrenal function will wreak havoc with your cardiac function as you get older.
  • Posted

You said you were told you were having tachycardia, that's most likely sinus tachycardia, not SVT, which is another whole ball game.  I have a daughter-in-law who was diagnosed with SVT as a 17 year old, she is now 40 and in excellent health.  Her attacks occurred only during severe stress ( when her mother was dying from cancer and when she was pregnant with her firstborn).  That was over ten years ago.  She hasn't had any spells since.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! That did calm me down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.