It is possible.. I promise

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a heroin addict. I was in active addiction using 1 1/2- 2 grams a day intravenously.. This went on for about 5 years.. My family disowned me, I couldn't keep a job, I was living in my car with my fiancé at the time (also using). Then May of 2013 I had my first child, a beautifully perfect little boy.. He came out with slight withdraw symptoms from opiates. We left the hospital and a week later CPS calls me and tells me to come to their office and bring my son.. That day I lost custody of my one week old baby, luckily family took him. This made me spiral into severe depression and my using became much worse. I kept going to court pleading the judge to give me another chance.. After 3 months the judge gave up and granted custody to family members until I can stop using.. Again my using became much much worse and I attempted suicide multiple times. When my son was 6 months old I found out I was pregnant again. I vowed to do things differently.. I got clean before my first doctor appointment, and in September of 2014 I had my second beautifully perfect little boy.. I had to deal with CPS again due to my previous case. I did not relapse, I would be damned if I let them take another baby from me! So six months later I regained custody of my oldest son. Now my boys are 4 and 2 1/2, I'm a single mom, I work full time at a good job, and I am continuing my recovery!

Recovery is possible.. It's hard, painful, and one of he most difficult things I've ever done. But I did it and so have millions of other people!

When you decide to get clean, make sure you do it FOR YOU! Not for your family, not for friends, not for a significant other, because it won't last. One day it's just clicks and you realize you don't want to live that way anymore. When that day comes, you need to FIGHT! Don't listen to the voice telling you "maybe in a week" or "I can't deal with the withdraws" or "I can handle my using" you know those are all lies..

You are so much stronger then you think! There is incredible support for you all over the place! Reach out and I promise someone will take your hand

I really hope this message reaches someone who needs it.

4 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

thanks for sharing your story ..... you are spot on when you say " make sure its for you " 

my addiction was methadone .. and in some cases i wish it was heroin ... not saying heroin is a better drug .. none are but even my drug worker stated you would of been better off taking heroin as methadone withdrawal is drawn out and took me around 9 months

i managed to get down from 45mg to 5mg within 3 months without any help ... however at 5mg i asked for help from my local drug service ( 1ml every 2 weeks until clean ) 

however at no time did i have any physical withdrawal... it was the mental side which plagued me for ,well until this april ..... and i have only just got my confidence back 

you can have all the drug/key workers and doctors in the world but the only person who can really do it is you ..... and many drug workers will place you on methadone or subutex .... much of it is a money thing so the drug companys can profit from our addiction 

in the uk there even placing codeine addicts on methadone ...thats like saying to a alcoholic who drinks 10 pints a day " swap to 10 bottles of whisky "" ..pure madness 

anyway thanks again for your story and i wish you all the best for the future 

bri 

• Posted

Very very well done & thank you so much for sharing your message in order to help others in a similar situation to where you we're!!

I agree 100% with what Brian said so thank you!!

I too like Brian am in the UK & my drug was LEGAL Heroin, (Oxycontin) I was prescribed by my GP at the time 800mgs per day but, through becoming addicted, was taking around 1500mgs per day towards the end.

I am now clean of this legal Heroin drug from hell through being put on 115mls of methadone per day, but I've now dropped off my own back from 115 down to 50 per day with very little physical withdrawals, (more mental than physical) & I hope to be completely clean of methadone before Christmas this year!

Thank you so very much for sharing what you went through as it will hopefully help very many in the same position you found yourself in!!

Good luck & well done for claiming your life back!!

All the very best

Ritchie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.