It is time for surgery!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Date:  9.26.2018

Diagnosed: 7.31.2017

Presbyopia Onset: 12/2015

Pre-cataract glasses:  -2 both eyes.  Slight astigmatism in the right eye.  Just remove glasses for near.  +1 actually makes near blurry.

Vision:  Cataracts in both eyes.  Nuclear and posterior sub capsular.  Vision in left eye severely impacted with blurred triple vision @ 20/60 or worse.  Right eye had been holding up until now but now it is at 20/30 and creating weird artifacts when light is involved even during daytime.  Initially only green colored light were impacted.  Night time light source looks like a snow flake with both eyes open.  Looks like a comet with the right eye.  Looks like a circle of light with the left eye.  The circle gets smaller as I get closer to the light.  Left eye practically unusable.  Earlier I could use it to read by getting close to the monitor.

IOL choice:  Symfony (Non-Toric) 16.5D which should leave me myopic around -0.3D.

All evaluations (4):  indicate early stage cataracts but unfortunately in the visual axis.

Surgery in left eye:  10/2018

Contemplating surgery in right eye: 11/2018.  Bu the eye is usable.  Can be corrected to 20/20 but the weird light distortions cannot be correct.  Would love to move surgery on this eye to 2020.

Worried about:

a)  Symfony night time halos.  Currently see every light source at night like a snow flake.

b)  PCO/YAG

d)  Retina detachment.  (Age and Hereditary)

e)  Long eye.  I have a long eye which can be challenge to calculate the IOL power.  Barrett method is recommended for such eyes. 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had my cataract removal on April and October  2016  with IOL insertion Symfoni Lens. I had trouble seeing night driving with red and white light concentric circles. Not seeing well if streets or freeways are not well lit and also doing stuff at home or work at night  if light is not well bright. I was not well informed of this artifacts and Abbot not telling about concentric circles. Lots of glares  with light when driving sometimes glares is so blinding bright like ambulance or cops light are blinding if you happen to follow them them close. Driving at night is a big challenge and also when raining and foggy are so treacherous to drive. I have to be cautious when driving have no choice but to drive to work need  to be alert and attentive all the time. 

Well you have to sit down with your surgeon and check your eyes the power of lens you need to have. Have him thorough check your eyes what he wants to do and write down all your questions and concerns.

good luck

EM

estella

• Posted

I know this is weighing heavily on you.  You know my story well and it’s been encouraging to see 2 others recently with Symfony lenses be pleased with their results.  

Just want to wish you the best.  Let us know when your surgery date is and will pray for you and the surgeon that day.

Good luck Soks!

• Posted

Thanks.  My surgery is on 10/24. 
  • Posted

Best of luck with your cataract surgery with the Symfony IOL!

Please keep us all posted on your progress.

• Posted

Thanks.  I plan to report back regardless of the outcome. 
    • Posted

The percentages are on your side for a good outcome.
  • Posted

Hey Soks be positive you have done your homework & have the same great highly regarded surgeon as me & I have never seen concentric rings... or had even the slightest problem with my Symfony eagle eye. Sight getting better day by day-driving, no glasses... colors great & saturated... those are just some of the many benefits of replacing a useless cataract eye. Everything turns out right in the end, if it isn't right, it isn't the end!

• Posted

Thanks Dennis.  I have tried to improve my chances with the research/doctor.  But one often meets his/her destiny on the road they take to avoid it.  smile
  • Posted

Hi Soks. I just had left eye on 8-28-18 and right on 9-11-18. And I am right eye dominate. My left eye is now 20-25 and it was 20-40 but my right eye was 20-30 and it is still 20/30 with the IOL. I even paid $450 for each eye for remeasurements with ORA - Optiwave Refractive Analysis. My surgeon has done over 75,000 patients. Now I am told because I am poor that if I got the Lasik it would have been better. Do your research. I did for 6 months of reserach and yes I can see okay without my contacts anymore but now they say they can put me in contacts to better my vision. Go figure. Procedure itself not too bad. Very quick. Best of luck and keep us posted please. Ruby S
    • Posted

Great info.  Ziess IOLMaster 700 with Total Keratometry (TK) is one of the latest in the market.
    • Posted

I had my eye measured with Ziess IOLMaster 700 with Total Keratometry (TK).  It says 16.5D Symfony lens will get me at -0.25 which will make near a little bit better.
    • Posted

Hi Ruby.  Does the vision improve with glasses?
    • Posted

Yes it will help with glasses or contact lense. I am used to the vision I have now beings the left eye is better than it was with contacts and the right is the same it was with the contacts. Will wait a while to see if I will wear contacts again. I am not a glasses person. (only for reading). I think everything will be okay. My vision is clearer and that is important. You will do well. Thank you. Ruby
    • Posted

It's great that it improves with glasses or contacts.  Hope it improves as you heal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.