Its been a stressful year 2023/4

Retired after 20 yrs

Moved house to totally new area

House turned into an unexpected financial drain

Bereavement (older sibling)

Long Covid

Not able to get a new job despite 40 applications

Two significant falls then preventing me from working

Developed a Gynaecological problem that has no cure and is all consuming everyday as far a symptoms go

About 3 months ago started to feel less than well most days, appetite very poor, weight loss, poor sleep, palpitations. Always feel on the edge of the abyss

I'm pretty sure this is depression, very similar to an episode I had about 30 yrs ago which was horrendous, but back then there was help, I just rang my GP and they stepped in. But now there's nothing . My partner just looks at me bewildered and goes for a walk. And there's nobody I can talk to

Any suggestions as to what I can do Really don't want to take medication

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sounds like depression. With all that you have going on I am not surprised. Sorry you are going through all of this. I know what it feels like myself. It’s horrible like an endless pit.

I don’t like medication myself, because it almost makes me feel worse. And it really doesn’t help me. Maybe others but not myself.

I have to remind myself constantly that everything is temporary. Whatever I’m going through right now is not permanent. The main thing is I have to take care of my health! No matter what I’m going through because if I don’t have my health, I don’t have anything. You said for the past while you haven’t been feeling good with poor appetite, weight, loss, feeling on edge, etc. Don’t let those other things ruin your health. yes we can take action on them but with a healthier mindset.

Have you had a complete physical check up lately put yourself first right now. Those other things will somehow work out but don’t let them consume you. I did that to myself, and it made me really sick. That was the last straw. I wasn’t going to allow life situation to kill me.

I turned all those things over to God, and I worked on my health first. No matter what was going on in my life, I made it a point to get some exercise even if it’s just a walk. I started taking one day at a time, and not overwhelming my mind with the what ifs. Started eating healthier and drinking a lot more water to stay hydrated.

Also got some online virtual counseling regularly, which really helped. It’s great to vent to somebody else who can help you manage this situation.

it really helped to change my perspective on my problems instead of letting them consume me. Nothing is 100% perfect but I feel so much better and healthier. The problems I will deal with but I don’t get sick over them anymore. Life is too short to be sick and have failing health .

see if you can get some online counseling regularly. I’ve gotten so much helpful information and someone to talk to from doing that. Take one day at a time knowing that your issues are temporary. Take care.

• Posted

Hello. I'm a retired medical professional from the U.S. and volunteer time to help where I can. I'm responding here because something in your post caught my attention.

"I'm pretty sure this is depression, very similar to an episode I had about 30 yrs ago which was horrendous, but back then there was help, I just rang my GP and they stepped in. But now there's nothing."

Could you tell me what your GP did by stepping in? I'm presuming that doing so resolved your depression to your satisfaction and constituted the appropriate and available help. I also noted that you "don't really want to take medication." In other words, if the help previously provided by your GP successfully treated a condition that you regarded as "horrendous," then what specific help did they provide that you feel is no longer available?

Best regards

• Posted

Hi Arthur

Back then my GP was available to see me face to face She took the time to listen to me She didnt know me that well but was happy to give me the time to explain how I was feeling. She gave me a prescription for prozac and said to collect it if things didnt improve. I was given an appointment to see her weekly and things did slowly improve without the need for medication

This time I feel totally alone I struggled to get an actual consultation and that was only by phone call, I have been referred to a mental health team, again telephone only and assessed as having acute panic disorder and depression I now have a weekly session of cbt But no other help Its a very dark place and a daily struggle to just exist Its also compounded by the lack of empathy and understanding of the gynae condition to which there has been no offer of follow up or referral

All in all such a difficult time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.