It's a joke!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Saw consultant one week ago. Today received copy of his letter that he sent to my GP. It states.

1. Having reviewed my ex Ray taken today he was happy with bone healing. I DID'NT have a ex Ray taken.

2. Unhealed scar, close eye to be kept by district nurse. HAVENT seen district nurse. Changes in dressing done at doctors surgery.

3. % bend in foot, where he came up with this figure didn't even touch or ask me to flex ankle.

4. Going to be long recovery. Yipee got this right.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gill,

That is so scary ooh, must have mixed your result up with someone else, why don't you call and find out what is going on.

That will give you great relieve.

Good luck to you

• Posted

That's just crazy not to mention unacceptable. How far along are you Gill from your injury.  How are you making out so far, I know it's been a hard long journey for most of us. I agree, give a call.  Take good care.
    • Posted

9th November when broke ankle, 16th November when operated with four plates fitted. Just finally past week got onto crutches after literally forgot how to walk. Honestly feel as left to own device. Physio only happening once in every couple of weeks and then appointments only last at the most 15mins. Looking to go private, but annoyed at the thought of using hard earned savings. 

I may ring consultants secretary after spoken with my Gp. 

How are you progressing.

• Posted

I don't know how it works there, but here you can always ask for a second opinion.
    • Posted

Hi Gill, we're so close in dates. I got up in my walker last week and do a few steps working up each day. It feels so weird on my foot. It is still very stiff. I got on  my recumbrant bike and did two minutes yesterday, working up to 20 minutes.....that was big. Physio once a week now but will go back to twice a week in two weeks. She wants to see how the walking goes. I get it forgetting how to walk....keep on we're going get there, eventually......👣
    • Posted

I am a month ahead of you.  My surgeon discharged me the day I went into the boot, 5 weeks post op.  I was able to get PT twice a week for an hour.  It would help to go at least once a week for 4 weeks.  I felt the same way about forgetting to walk, but it does come back. The beginning exercises are rotating the ankle both directions, point and flex foot, use stretchy band in all directions. Massage foot and leg. Stationary bike. Pool walking, kicking in the deep end.  Progress to calf stretches, lifting up on toes.  If anything causes stabbing pain...stop. Once you can walk and fwb they move to strenghthening and balance exercises.  Best of luck!

Are you still in the boot?  My friend broke his ankle and didn't have insurance.  He spent $16,000. out of pocket for the surgery and couldn't afford PT.  He did well and says he can hardly tell which ankle it was.  

• Posted

Seems as though depends on which area you live in to what treatment you receive. Reading on here loads seem to get more regular physio than I am receiving. My appointment consist of walking across the room - once. Therapist will then stretch ankle backwards and forward maybe twice. That it end of treatment, told to make appointment for two weeks. I don't know what my expectation never having this happened before of physio but would have thought there would be more than what receiving. This is why seriously thinking of looking into going private. 
    • Posted

A week after plaster removed and at first PT. appointment was told not to wear boot. I can't try swimming pool as scar not healed and must keep it dry. I have exercise bike at home and so far can manage 11mins. It actually my good leg aches first. 

• Posted

Pleased to hear your up on your feet and doing a few steps. Well done. My foot like you gives some strange feelings. First time put it down pulled it straight back up as felt like an electric shock. 

I am concentrating at present as how to get out of house as have steps down. I actually managed today to get back in with little help. Felt a bit unsteady but pleased with my acheivement. 

If I sit with foot down for any length of time then the foot goes numb. Biggest problem is the tightness, the same as your experiencing at the moment, horrible. 

Hopefully we will both be walking soon. Xx

• Posted

Private might be better, mine does some manipulation, gave me my home leg exercises, does TENS on leg  and shows me proper way to use walker and bike. Really I'm doing more for myself but check in to see my progress which is super slow. I'm down to once a week......keep looking I. YouTube it's been my best sources ....take good care 👣
    • Posted

Hi Gill

how are you making out, I started getting up a few times a day on my walker to get things going. Are you still wearing your boot? I'm wearing mine to get the process going. Are you still in physio. How is your scar healing?  You and I were similar in getting walking, so I hope your doing well.......take care

• Posted

Hi jannie, lovely to hear from you and pleased your making progress. My scar still hasn't healed so at doctors twice a week for dressing changes. Still having to keep it bone dry which stops me having a full lie in bath.

Boot was told two weeks after plaster came off not to wear by physio. Talking of physio only having this once in every two to three weeks, appointments are scarce. Then only see physiotherapists for 15mins at most. He gets me to "walk" across floor and then bends ankle and that it's over with till next appointment. Was told off him to stop using Zimmer frame and get back onto crutches.  I still use zimmers indoors. Since using the crutches have become more mobile. 

The last few weeks have managed to walk down the stairs, although still go up on bum. Mastered the front steps both going in and outside. Can't walk too far, but it's a start. The last couple of days have been walking a couple of steps unaided around my bed. (Safety thing here as if fall have a soft landing). When I say walk I really mean shuffle. Need more practice as only attempt if got someone with me and so difficult having to rely on people who work.

Still long way to go yet but know we will all improve given time.

• Posted

Way to go Gill I guess we find our own way to get around. My foot feels so weird still and mostly walking on top of foot. I got some forearm crutches I'll take to physio tomorrow to see how they feel. So far just the walker, I guess it's slow and steady. Are you taking but C and D? Vit C really good for healing, and aloe Vera on scar too. Hope you are well, take good care fellow ankle biter....👣
  • Posted

You should send a copy of the letter with your corrections to your GP and maybe they should send you to a differennt consultant. 

I find much of healthcare has become documentation of CYA.  I asked for a copy of my chart from the hospital where I had surgery and had spent 22 hours.  It was 162 pages of lies and inaccuracies.  I had been overdosed by narcotics and had an a respiratory arrest.  It was not documented at all.  I was told by anesthesia and the nurses about it, but it was not in the chart. They charted lots of care I never received.  It's making my BP go up just to think about it.  

When was your surgery?  Once, the bones are healed it seems like the surgeons are done with us. PT takes over from there.  

• Posted

Wow Linda, that is pretty much what they do now especially if things go wrong. I'm glad you came out of that huge ordeal......breathe.......take good care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.